posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default External Wifi Antenna

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

Thanks,

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether
Oak Harbor, WA

posted to rec.boats.electronics
RR RR is offline

If you put it on the mast - then it must be an OMNI one - 360 degrees,
but not as strong as a directional one - which needs of course to be
directed.

You will find it all on e/bay -- as well as try in Google

Season Greetings from the Holy land

RR

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:18:50 -0800, "Patrick Harman"
wrote:

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

Thanks,

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether
Oak Harbor, WA

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Patrick Harman" wrote:

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

Thanks,

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether
Oak Harbor, WA

Unless you have a lot of money to spend on very "Good" quality
Coax cable, you would be MUCH better off putting the Client
Access Point up the mast, and use POE, on the ethernet wire,
to power it......

Bruce in alaska
--
add path before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Look at this

Inscape Data CB54E AirEther High Power 802.11B/G Wireless Client Bridge,
N-type Connector

http://www.wlanmall.com/airether-hig...tor-p-588.html

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:fast-
:

Unless you have a lot of money to spend on very "Good" quality
Coax cable, you would be MUCH better off putting the Client
Access Point up the mast, and use POE, on the ethernet wire,
to power it......

Got any S-band waveguide, Bruce?.....(c

Wifi will NOT go reliably over 500 yards because of the very intense
data storm which cannot tolerate the multipath reflections, which are
awful on 2.45 Ghz. The speed wifi runs is its worst enemy in range.

Larry

Not true at all Larry, I have a Western Mutiplex Unit (Part 15) that
brings in my twin T1's, that runs on a 16 mile Path, from here to Hoonah
Mtn.... as well as an 802.11b path that takes my LAN 2.1 miles down the
beach, so some Close Neighbors, can access the Internet, using my
MIcroISP. I am in the middle of upgrading that path to 54Mbs, using
MIMO AP's and Clients, getting ready to expand the LAN bandwidth for the
Summer Folks. We have 1100' of Ethernet Wire strung thru the woods that
feeds up the mountain for a couple of guys that don't live on the beach.
Works good so far, at 10BaseT speeds, and with a Hub/Repeater powered
using POE, at about 600' from the AP Client. WiFi works just SPIFFY, if
one takes the time to engineer the paths properly.

Bruce in alaska
--
add path before @

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:03:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

Wifi will NOT go reliably over 500 yards because of the very intense
data storm which cannot tolerate the multipath reflections, which are
awful on 2.45 Ghz. The speed wifi runs is its worst enemy in range.

That is totally incorrect. I have two external WiFi antennas on my
boat and routinely connect to access points that are over a mile away,
sometimes 2 or 3 miles.

One antenna has a 30 ft downfeed of LMR-400 low loss coax connected to
a high power USB adapter (Senao EUB-362 EXT), the second antenna is
connected to an adapter with power over ethernet capability
(ENGENIUS/SENAO EOC/NOC-3220). Both antennas are vertical high gain
omni-directionals.

I get most of my WiFi equipment from he

http://www.wlanparts.com/

and have been very satisfied with their prices and service.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Jack,

On the right side of the page there is a link for the data page.

Here it is

http://www.wlanmall.com/images/items/pdf/CB54E_d.pdf

Ansley Sawyer

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Jack,

I humbly apologize for my previous post. After I sent it, I went back to the
data sheet and of course found that you are correct, there is no mention of
the size or the weight of the units.

I have sent an email to the company telling them of the lack of info and
requesting same. I will post when I get it.

Merry Christmas.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem
(Out of Rockland)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Anyone have a link to an external marine Wifi antenna. I want to mount it
atop my mast and run about 40 ft to my computer.

A couple of points to consider. The farther you put the equipment from the
antenna the more signal you'll lose. It's often better to put the equipment
as close as possible to the antenna. Even higher quality cabling (don't
even bother with cheap stuff) will cause signal loss.

It's correct to state you'll need an omnidirectional antenna. The boat's
movement on anchor won't ever make it practical to try using a directional
antenna. You'd be constantly fidding with the antenna trying to keep it
aimed properly.

I'm sure there are more technically accurate terms to be applied here,
forgive me for using a layman's explanation.

That and mounting the antenna up high has it's own hassles. The signal
pattern from the antenna is doughnut-shaped. It tends to be a rather tight
vertical angle. So the closer you are to the target, the tighter the
vertical aperature will be. So if you're too close to the base you won't be
able to pick it up. But then there's the opposite side of the coin, the
wider aperature will end up picking up MANY more signals from father away.
This has the downside of reducing performance, as you end up 'hearing' too
many Wifi networks.

Then couple the aperature issues with a boat that's swinging on anchor. An
antenna mounted higher up will end up causing signal loss as the wave action
swings the aperature away. The donut keeps tilting up/down and 'misses'
the base station.

I used a 10db omni up on the radar arch. I ran the cabling to an access
point mounted inside the arch (cable was about 18" total). From there I ran
CAT5 to another access point below in the cabin. The one on the arch
connects to shore as a client. The one in the boat provides a network to
things just on board (I've got the power set quite low on it) Works great,
provided you can find reliable free WiFi.

And after two seasons of screwing around with trying to find reliable free
Wifi I decided to just use cell data instead. I picked up a Verizon data
card and a Linksys WRT54GS3G router for it. Works great, even just using
the plain data card antenna plugged into the router while it's below decks.

So before you go through all the effort of fiddling with wifi, with the
expectations of getting something "free", you should really look at whether
a cell data plan would provide effective coverage instead. For the
$50/month it costs for the card (which gets used in laptops during trips
otherwise) it's been well worth it for us.

-Bill Kearney