Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default OMC external tank question

Yesterday I had quite a screaming lot of fun trying to pick up a
mooring at Angel Island in SF Bay when my Evinrude 6 hp sudden quit on
me. I primed the bulb and restarted the engine several times and it
stopped running soon after every time.

Turns out this is now a chronic problem with the motor, which runs fine
once I start it, then abruptly quits after about a minute. Right before
it cuts out, there is a power surge suggestive of when I disconnect the
gas line when running the carburetor dry.

After switching out gas lines, I have deduced the culprit must be the
gas tank itself, that old OMC orange steel 6 gallon tank that we all
know well.

QUESTION: Is there possibility of "cloggage" in the tube that connects
the bottom of the fuel tank to the nipple on the top of the tank?

How does one take apart one of these thanks to find the problem? Is
there a screen or filter that needs to be checked periodically?

Are there exploded diagrams available anywhere on the web?

This 1975 Evinrude 6 has run pretty well up til now. I'd hate to have
to take it in, but I suspect the problem is in the gas tank.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Richard

Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
Fuel tank frustration Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 37 November 7th 03 06:23 AM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
cleaning water tank - For Peggie Hall Florida Keyz Cruising 6 August 8th 03 02:52 AM
Macerator installation WF Cruising 14 July 31st 03 06:41 PM