posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default electrolysis

Mabe someone can help me I have an aluminum boat it is 7 years old
only have 100 hours on it. about 1 1/2 years ago it started to
develope small pits in it. i talked to everyone including manufacturer
they said it was salt on the roads all kinds of lame stuff. i had it
buffed out and now it is getting worse its never in the water more
than hours. i have not changed anything since new.no one knows why can
you help had elec checked and is ok.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

The corrosion may not be from electrolysis. Please remember that aluminum
(aluminium) is very reactive. It could be a reaction from chemicals in the
air from industry. Is it present on the inside as well as the outside? Most
people that own aluminum boats paint them with 2 part polyurethane and be
done with the problem. If you elect to go that way, be sure to use an
etching primer first.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mabe someone can help me I have an aluminum boat it is 7 years old
only have 100 hours on it. about 1 1/2 years ago it started to
develope small pits in it. i talked to everyone including manufacturer
they said it was salt on the roads all kinds of lame stuff. i had it
buffed out and now it is getting worse its never in the water more
than hours. i have not changed anything since new.no one knows why can
you help had elec checked and is ok.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I know a chap that used to just leave his aluminium dingy outside turned
upside down thru the winter & never had a problem with it. One day his
"friend" shamed him into placing it in the shed (garage?) & helped him tie
it up near the roof so he could park his car underneath it.
BAD MOVE!!!
The sparrows crapped all over it thru winter & by the following season when
he brought it down it looked like a sieve.
There were hundreds of holes thru it everywhere...... completely through it.

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
The corrosion may not be from electrolysis. Please remember that aluminum
(aluminium) is very reactive. It could be a reaction from chemicals in the
air from industry. Is it present on the inside as well as the outside?
Most people that own aluminum boats paint them with 2 part polyurethane
and be done with the problem. If you elect to go that way, be sure to use
an etching primer first.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mabe someone can help me I have an aluminum boat it is 7 years old
only have 100 hours on it. about 1 1/2 years ago it started to
develope small pits in it. i talked to everyone including manufacturer
they said it was salt on the roads all kinds of lame stuff. i had it
buffed out and now it is getting worse its never in the water more
than hours. i have not changed anything since new.no one knows why can
you help had elec checked and is ok.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:26:29 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Most
people that own aluminum boats paint them with 2 part polyurethane

Most people with aluminum boats leave them unpainted.

Casady

Electrolysis richard Cruising 18 October 14th 07 01:31 AM
Electrolysis Oliver Fleming Electronics 1 May 24th 07 01:18 PM
Mooring Electrolysis Edgar ASA 0 February 6th 07 11:13 AM
Question about electrolysis Tom General 13 July 18th 05 01:52 PM
Electrolysis Quiz! Bob Crantz ASA 9 March 18th 05 09:08 PM