Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tom

Default Question about electrolysis

I bought a new SeaPro with a 200 Yamaha FI in March and keep it on a
trailer in an enclosed storage building. On weekends I launch and
leave it in the water until Sunday. The trim tab is a sacrificial
anode and is deteriorating rapidly - lots of pock marks. I've done
some searches and found sites on what electrolysis is but haven't
found a site that describes where the problem can originate or how to
correct for it. The dealer felt there was a charge in the water but
also suggested I turn off the Perko every time I dock and tilt the
motor out of the water in case the problem was caused by something
internal. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have. I have built
a temporary pier with power but all power lines are above water and in
conduit (pier is on 4 X 4 treated pilings and I usually dock the boat
15 -25 feet from the pier. There is a power service pole approx. 20
feet from the waters edge and has a grounding rod. Neighbors have
electricity on their piers but none are within 70 feet or so. I have
plugged in my on board battery charger overnight on a couple of
occasions when the boat was in the water. The boat has 3 batteries,
trolling motor, VHF, GPS, Hydraulic Jack Plate (Aluminum), Electric
Trim Tabs, on board 3 bank charger and aerator. That's about all I
know of that could affect it but would be happy to provide any other
info if someone has any thoughts on what could be causing it and what
I can do to stop it. I can raise and tilt the motor completely out of
the water and turn off the Perko switch each time but that's a pain in
the rear (not to mention I'm prone to forget). Thanks in advance for
any advice you might have. Take care.