posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Mooring Electrolysis

"Milton Waddams" wrote in message
I was reading through the piles of papers from my new marina and found
something interesting. The marina highly recommends tying off on the
mooring with a non conductive line to greatly reduce electrolysis. I
was a bit puzzled because in my simple view the mooring chain below
the water should undergo the same electrolysis regardless of what is
above the water. A boat should have all its zincs in place so I don't
see the problem. I asked the yard guru about this and he said a chain
would form a circuit with the boat with the especially if all the
metal is grounded. I mentioned the zincs and he said it doesn't really
matter. Being really confused, I asked for further explanation. He
went on about the mooring anchor getting sunk into the mud and making
a good electrical connection to the sea floor which is like 1/2 of a
battery. He said a moored boat would become a second half of the
battery if connected electrically to the anchor and the sea water is
another path to complete the circuit. I don't get it at all, I barely
understand regular electrolysis. If anyone could explain this or
provide a link it would be most helpful. I don't have to worry for my
boat it is tied to the dock. To all you Chicago fans: there's always
next year! Da Bears!

I think he knows that the marina power system has a lousy earth connection
and is trying to minimise, or localise, any problems caused if one of the
boats has equipment on board that is faulty and leaking to earth.
Don't let your kids swim in that marina!