Bob Crantz

Default Electrolysis Quiz!

1. Which has the potential to cause the greatest electrolytic damage (pun
intended!):

a. 110 VAC line
b. 220 VAC line
c. Satellite dish
d. Phone line

2. Whats the difference between an expensive dockside isolator ($$$) and a
hardware store ground fault interrupt circuit breaker?

3. What's the one thing that can ruin your entire electrolysis prevention
setup?

a. Tying neutral and ground together on the boat.
b. Unbalanced third leg at the marina junction box
c. Adjacent boat having neutral and ground tied together
d. Each adjacent boat using the opposite side of the split 220V.

4. If your dockside isolator trips can you be electrocuted when stepping
aboard a steel boat from a metal dock?

5. Does water moving along a steel hull increase electrolytic action?

6. What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

7. What is your favorite color?

Capt. Mooron

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

6. What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

African or European Swallow?

7. What is your favorite color?

Blue.. No.. Red ... er... Y-e-e-a-a-h-h-a-a-r-r-g-g-g-h-h-h

CM

Scott Vernon

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

6. What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

I heard Gaynz swallows.

7. What is your favorite color?

Blue.. No.. Red ... er... Y-e-e-a-a-h-h-a-a-r-r-g-g-g-h-h-h

Oh go ahead, you can admit it, it's Red, White and Blue.

Scotty

Lonny Bruce

Oh go ahead, you can admit it, it's Red, White and Blue.

Unlike Gaynzie who has a sexual persuation with it's own multi-color flag.

Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

6. What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

I heard Gaynz swallows.

7. What is your favorite color?

Blue.. No.. Red ... er... Y-e-e-a-a-h-h-a-a-r-r-g-g-g-h-h-h

Oh go ahead, you can admit it, it's Red, White and Blue.

Scotty

Scout

I'm leaving now for job #1. But, this is what good posting in asa is all
about!
If there are no answers or incorrect answers when I return in 14 hours, I'll
take a shot at the quiz. Some of my answers will be scientific guesses
(SWAGs) and some will be complete WAGs.
I'm particularly interested in question #2. I don't have either pieces of
equipment, but I'm supposing that the isolator is a transformer that
completely isolates ship's power from land power via induction. The gfi
monitors the balance between lines and opens the circuit when an imbalance
occurs, so I'm wondering if a gfi might offer some protection against
electrolysis.
Scout

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Joe

1. D
2. Cost
3. A
4. Yes
5. yes
6. 48 knots
7. Green

Joe

Wally

Bob Crantz wrote:
1. Which has the potential to cause the greatest electrolytic damage
(pun intended!):

a. 110 VAC line
b. 220 VAC line
c. Satellite dish
d. Phone line

Phone line, I think - it's DC.

2. Whats the difference between an expensive dockside isolator ($$$)
and a hardware store ground fault interrupt circuit breaker?

The dockside isolator doesn't trip when it rains?

3. What's the one thing that can ruin your entire electrolysis
prevention setup?

a. Tying neutral and ground together on the boat.
b. Unbalanced third leg at the marina junction box
c. Adjacent boat having neutral and ground tied together
d. Each adjacent boat using the opposite side of the split 220V.

I'm tempted to think D. My boat might be fine, his boat might be fine, but,
together, they're sucking the lifeblood out of each other.

4. If your dockside isolator trips can you be electrocuted when
stepping aboard a steel boat from a metal dock?

Seems doubtful - the circuit is insulated cable to the isolator, and there
it stops. The metal dock and boat should be at roughly the same potential -
at least very close to ground.

5. Does water moving along a steel hull increase electrolytic action?

Is it salty?

6. What is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

African or European?

7. What is your favorite color?

Depends on my mood. Some pastel shades based on Ultramarine Blue are quite
nice.

--
Wally (who knows very little about electrolysis)
www.artbywally.com/FiatPandaRally/index.htm

Stainless steel anchor - electrolysis problem? [email protected] Cruising 10 February 23rd 05 01:26 AM
Rules History Quiz Jeff Morris ASA 15 February 11th 05 09:53 PM
Try this quiz. Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 27th 04 08:04 PM
Silver chloride half cells for electrolysis & zinc measurements Ace-high Electronics 4 July 1st 04 11:32 PM
Finding electrolysis from the dock Chuck Baier Electronics 9 April 24th 04 08:32 PM