posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Annapolis Alternator Shop

Annapolis Alternator Shop

Well, Murphy's heard we're going to be leaving Annapolis soon and
has arrived for a visit.

I need an alternator shop in Annapolis or nearby that someone's
happy with. Of the, count 'em, 5 alternators aboard, one is
working and the other non-failed one hasn't yet been tested; it
may work, but I don't want to tempt Murphy by having an unknown
spare. Worse, I don't have the appropriate equipment to pull off
a good pulley top swap them; one of the old ones, I conclude, was
the reason I was eating belts before things settled down.

One of the alternators I'm taking back to Charleston as it's new
and their fault for the failure. The other two not working I'm
taking somewhere to get made functional. Thus this post.

Help??

To save time and bandwidth, if you can help, please respond
directly to me skip gundlach (no space, all one word) at gmail
dot com. Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

On Oct 9, 8:11 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:
Annapolis Alternator Shop

Mamock's was recommended by several diverse sources, with no others.
They fixed me up (well, confirmed that two were dead and one was
putting out more than 100A, and swapped over a good pulley for an old
one) in a couple of hours; the last of the inop ones will go to
Charleston for warranty repair.

Thanks to all who responded. As usual, the net came through very
quickly...

L8R

Skip

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Red Red is offline

On Oct 9, 8:11 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:

Annapolis Alternator Shop

Mamock's was recommended by several diverse sources, with no others.
They fixed me up (well, confirmed that two were dead and one was
putting out more than 100A, and swapped over a good pulley for an old
one) in a couple of hours; the last of the inop ones will go to
Charleston for warranty repair.

I was looking at a 3 cylinder yanmar a few weeks ago and found the
alternator belt was slowly being eaten. Since then I inspected 3 more
similar fairly new (all from new to less than 3 years old) racing
sailboats with the same engine and all were slowly eating belts. Belt
tension was within normal limits on each. All of these engines had 110
amp alternators on a single belt pully.
Red

"Red" wrote:

I was looking at a 3 cylinder yanmar a few weeks ago and found the
alternator belt was slowly being eaten. Since then I inspected 3

more
similar fairly new (all from new to less than 3 years old) racing
sailboats with the same engine and all were slowly eating belts.

Belt
tension was within normal limits on each. All of these engines had

110
amp alternators on a single belt pully.

Seems quite normal to me.

If you look at the Amp v RPM for that alternator, probably needs a
dual belt drive.

Lew

Red wrote:

On Oct 9, 8:11 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:

Annapolis Alternator Shop

Mamock's was recommended by several diverse sources, with no others.
They fixed me up (well, confirmed that two were dead and one was
putting out more than 100A, and swapped over a good pulley for an old
one) in a couple of hours; the last of the inop ones will go to
Charleston for warranty repair.

I was looking at a 3 cylinder yanmar a few weeks ago and found the
alternator belt was slowly being eaten. Since then I inspected 3 more
similar fairly new (all from new to less than 3 years old) racing
sailboats with the same engine and all were slowly eating belts. Belt
tension was within normal limits on each. All of these engines had 110
amp alternators on a single belt pully.
Red

Were they using a "V" belt or a flat belt?

Cheers
Marty
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:00:29 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

If you look at the Amp v RPM for that alternator, probably needs a
dual belt drive.

Sometimes that's easier said than done. I'm driving 110 amp
alternators on my engines using a single (heavy duty) belt.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=1173
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 11, 12:00 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Red" wrote:
I was looking at a 3 cylinder yanmar a few weeks ago and found the
alternator belt was slowly being eaten. Since then I inspected 3

more
similar fairly new (all from new to less than 3 years old) racing
sailboats with the same engine and all were slowly eating belts.

Belt
tension was within normal limits on each. All of these engines had

110
amp alternators on a single belt pully.

Seems quite normal to me.

If you look at the Amp v RPM for that alternator, probably needs a
dual belt drive.

Lew

either that or go from a 3/8 to a 1/2 inch belt and pullies.

On Oct 11, 8:42 am, Martin Baxter wrote:
Red wrote:

[...]

Marty- Hide quoted text -

probably V

See our galleries atwww.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power
to make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

BTW, it helps to know what engine[s] and what make and size
alternators....

Annapolis Alternator Shop Skip Gundlach Cruising 32 December 2nd 07 07:43 AM
Annapolis show Ringmaster ASA 15 October 18th 06 01:53 PM
FS: Props in Annapolis, MD T.O. Marketplace 0 April 17th 06 03:01 PM
Annapolis NOODS SAIL LOCO ASA 9 May 4th 04 02:07 AM
Annapolis 44 felton ASA 1 June 24th 03 01:53 PM