Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Battery Charger and Wire Guage

I recently bought a new battery charger. Even though the specs called for
12 guage, I installed oversized 10 AWG wire to the AGM batteries (one
battery on each of 2 banks) when I installed the charger. When I crimped
the fuses into the cables at the + battery terminals, all I had was 12 guage
butt splices, so I just trimmed off a few strands from the 10 guage wire
right at the splice. Once I had everything hooked up, I saw that the
charger would only charge my batteries to about 80%. Well, I finally got
around to replacing the butt splices with 10 guage, and now the charger is
charging my batteries to 100%. I don't understand how less than one inch of
12 guage wire, or the 12 guage butt splice could have introduced enough
voltage drop to cause an 80% charge in the batteries. Am I missing
something?

TIA for any responses.

Battery charger help. kirwoodd Electronics 4 December 22nd 06 10:05 PM
battery charger OWEN FUNSCH Electronics 4 June 3rd 05 01:50 PM
Battery wire sprokkie Electronics 5 February 13th 04 08:57 PM
Battery wire Earl Haase Electronics 0 February 12th 04 02:36 PM
Battery wire Earl Haase Electronics 0 February 12th 04 02:30 PM