posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Importing raster maps into Maptech....

Any chance?

It looks like no utility out there can write BSB/KAP files. Many can read.

Annoying.

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect raster
scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility (a là
OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag. dev, etc is
entered.

Atlas wrote:
Any chance?

It looks like no utility out there can write BSB/KAP files. Many can
read.

Annoying.

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect
raster scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility
(a là OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag.
dev, etc is entered.

If you are saying you prefer Maptech to Oziexplorer, you must be nuts!

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

If you are saying you prefer Maptech to Oziexplorer, you must be nuts!

Dennis.

You didn't answer to my question, but...... yes.

I like Maptech Chart Navigator Pro better:
- AWESOME, clean, neat and compliant user interface. Ozi's a mess of
buttons, ugly, developed with prehistoric devtool.... Delphi?
- AWESOME "cruise mode"; it looks like proper on board marine chart plotter
- Intuitive. Can't say the same with Ozi. To understand how Ozi works I had
to go through the manual. Never done such a thing with Chart Navigator Pro
- Use mouse wheel and +/- keys to zoom. Ozi uses page/down/up...... CRAP!
- Automatically change maps at smaller/larger scales. Don't know if Ozi can
do that.....
- Perfectly usable routes/waypoints data/lists

For me that's fair enough, that's what I need from a marine navigation
software......

The only BIG regret about Maptech, is it's inability to import raster maps
and calibrate. Ozi does. But can't save in BSB format.

Now you go explaining why you prefer Ozi

Atlas wrote:
[...]

As with all software, one tends to stick to the allpication one knows best.
I use Ozi partly because I don't want to be dependant on the supplier of the
software for issuing expensive amendments, charging for upgrades etc., etc.

Chart Navigator Pro may well be far better than the basic Maptech Navigator
I am familiar with, but if you have to rely on the application to load only
one type of map/chart, I would find this unduly restrictive.

Granted, it takes a few years' use to get familiar with all the functions in
Ozi, and this does put people off. I've been using it for around 8 years
now, and I still don't know all it is capable of!

Since I have many different charts in several different file formats, this
alone makes Ozi the king for me, but others may disagree.

Also worth a lot is the ability to edit my charts without having to rely on
a third party, create my own symbols, any size, any colour, work with
routes, waypoints, tracks etc., etc.

Dennis.

Atlas wrote:
Any chance?

It looks like no utility out there can write BSB/KAP files. Many can read.

Annoying.

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect raster
scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility (a là
OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag. dev, etc is
entered.

Are you talking about charts for U.S. waters? Those are all already
available as free downloads. As are the S-57 Vector charts.

Download and install the trial version of Rosepoint Software's Coastal
Explorer and it will go on line and download all those chart for you:

http://rosepointnav.com/CoastalExplorer/default.htm

Coastal Explorer is packaged with some additional bells and whistles and
sold as Maptech's Chart navigator Pro:

http://www.maptech.com/water/chartNa...rPro/index.cfm

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Atlas" wrote in
:

Any chance?

It looks like no utility out there can write BSB/KAP files. Many can
read.

Annoying.

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect
raster scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility
(a là OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag.
dev, etc is entered.

I searched for this a few years ago and didn't find anything public domain.
I agree that it's sad, but not muc demand for it. The only reason that I
wanted it was that my NorthStar 961 only read BSB charts and I wanted to
encode some charts and include them on the 961.

-- Geoff

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect
raster scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility
(a là OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag.
dev, etc is entered.

Once you have solved the BSB calibration problem, how are you intending to
solve the many problems of scanning to a usable file type which does not
resemble a pig's ear? Of all the many hundreds of electronic charts I
possess, only about two are scanned from paper charts, partly because I
found that buying a scanner large enough to scan a complete chart at one
pass would cost me about the same as a new Ferrari!

Most of these BSB charts can be obtained in digital form anyway, by
resorting to a file-sharing program such as Emule, therefore saving the time
and cost of scanning.

The BSB electronic charts thus obtained are every bit as good as the paper
originals, and can be used in Ozi or Maptech without extra calibration.

DP

posted to rec.boats.electronics

As with all software, one tends to stick to the allpication one knows
best.
I use Ozi partly because I don't want to be dependant on the supplier of
the
software for issuing expensive amendments, charging for upgrades etc.,
etc.

Partially true, Ozi "full" needs money.......

Chart Navigator Pro may well be far better than the basic Maptech
Navigator

Absolutelly. I remember about an old Offshore navigator version 5.something
that I didn't like much.... Chart Navigator Pro is redesigned from scratch,
and looks super to me, but it's my opinion... You can test it freely.......

Since I have many different charts in several different file formats, this
alone makes Ozi the king for me, but others may disagree.

What formats are you using? Basically I've noticed that BSB/S57 are most
common and maptech supports them both..... yes with Ozi you can go through
the raster/calibration method.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Atlas wrote:
Any chance?

It looks like no utility out there can write BSB/KAP files. Many can
read.

Annoying.

I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect raster
scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility (a là
OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag. dev, etc is
entered.

Are you talking about charts for U.S. waters? Those are all already
available as free downloads. As are the S-57 Vector charts.

No, I'm interested in the mediterranean area.....

Raster charts now free Roger Long Cruising 28 December 24th 06 02:25 PM
NOAA raster charts JohnH General 0 February 12th 06 02:44 PM
Importing Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam ASA 51 November 26th 03 03:26 AM
Importing Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam General 36 November 22nd 03 11:32 PM
Importing SkitchNYC ASA 18 November 17th 03 05:02 AM