posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Importing raster maps into Maptech....

Atlas wrote:
If you are saying you prefer Maptech to Oziexplorer, you must be
nuts!

Dennis.

You didn't answer to my question, but...... yes.

I like Maptech Chart Navigator Pro better:
- AWESOME, clean, neat and compliant user interface. Ozi's a mess of
buttons, ugly, developed with prehistoric devtool.... Delphi?
- AWESOME "cruise mode"; it looks like proper on board marine chart
plotter
- Intuitive. Can't say the same with Ozi. To understand how Ozi works
I had to go through the manual. Never done such a thing with Chart
Navigator Pro
- Use mouse wheel and +/- keys to zoom. Ozi uses page/down/up......
CRAP!
- Automatically change maps at smaller/larger scales. Don't know if
Ozi can do that.....
- Perfectly usable routes/waypoints data/lists

For me that's fair enough, that's what I need from a marine navigation
software......

The only BIG regret about Maptech, is it's inability to import raster
maps and calibrate. Ozi does. But can't save in BSB format.

Now you go explaining why you prefer Ozi

As with all software, one tends to stick to the allpication one knows best.
I use Ozi partly because I don't want to be dependant on the supplier of the
software for issuing expensive amendments, charging for upgrades etc., etc.

Chart Navigator Pro may well be far better than the basic Maptech Navigator
I am familiar with, but if you have to rely on the application to load only
one type of map/chart, I would find this unduly restrictive.

Granted, it takes a few years' use to get familiar with all the functions in
Ozi, and this does put people off. I've been using it for around 8 years
now, and I still don't know all it is capable of!

Since I have many different charts in several different file formats, this
alone makes Ozi the king for me, but others may disagree.

Also worth a lot is the ability to edit my charts without having to rely on
a third party, create my own symbols, any size, any colour, work with
routes, waypoints, tracks etc., etc.

Dennis.