Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

Default Importing

Does anyone know what issues surround buying a boat in Canada and
bringing it into the United States?
Jeff Morris

If you buy new, the builder should prepare all the paperwork. I'm not even sure what it
is, since all I saw was the normal builder's certificate used for documentation, but I
think some other paper got filed by an import agent. When we called Immigration in Oswego
they told us nothing had to be done for the boat - we had been warned they would assume
this was a small boat, so we then called Customs. The met us in Phoenix (about 3 hours
down the canal), looked over the boat, and charged us $25 for a sticker.

This was all pre-9/11. I've heard you can no longer do Immigration with the "picture
phone." If its is used boat you should call customs to see just what they require.
Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

-jeff

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message

Does anyone know what issues surround buying a boat in Canada and
bringing it into the United States?

Capt. Mooron

WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

| Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

Jeff Morris

So why didn't I have to pay anything? I even have a piece of paper signed by the customs
official that says duty free.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

| Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

johnh

I bought my boat in BC, Canada 3 years ago. There was *no* duty to be paid
if the boat was built in the USA or in Canada. There were also no Canadian
taxes to be paid, but the broker told me that in order to avoid the Canadian
taxes, they had to deliver the boat to me in the U.S. and I had to take
possession here. The sale and transfer was all simple with no
complications. A delivery captain brought the boat down from Vancouver to
Blain for a minimal charge, customs brought their sniffer dogs on board and
I took possession in a bout 30 min.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

| Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

katysails

WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying =
in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

It's a wash when you trade it for the VAT.
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

SGD

Duties will be levied for a canadian made (or any other country of origin).
You won't have to pay duties on a used US boat because it's US origin.
Brokers can handle it all.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

| Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

Capt. Mooron

If it's a Canadian built vessel coming from the USA... Canadian Customs
advised my friend that duties may be imposed.

CM

"SGD" wrote in message
| Duties will be levied for a canadian made (or any other country of
origin).
| You won't have to pay duties on a used US boat because it's US origin.
| Brokers can handle it all.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying
in
| the US and importing to Canada.
|
| CM
|
| "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
|
| | Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

Jeff Morris

Wrong. Recreational yachts built in Canada, Mexico, and a variety of other countries are duty free.
But please, consult with Customs on this.

http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff/0310c89.pdf

--
-jeff

"SGD" wrote in message ...
Duties will be levied for a canadian made (or any other country of origin).
You won't have to pay duties on a used US boat because it's US origin.
Brokers can handle it all.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
WRONG! There will indeed be duty to be paid. It's that way when buying in
the US and importing to Canada.

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

| Because of NAFTA, there should be no duties.

Capt. Mooron

I'll make sure to make that available to Canadian Customs.... which says
duties may be imposed.

Free Trade sucks so much backwash! I hate it! It only makes any sense when
both signators have a reasonably close GDP.

CM