Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Garmin Routes

This weekend I installed a new GPS on the boat - a Garmin GPSMAP 545.
This is the first new GPS I've had in 10 years - the old one is a
GPSMAP 175, a handheld mapper that relies on obsolete chart chips.

The new machine is awesome! Bright, crisp 480x640 color display, all
US charts built in, fast processor. The problem I have is that the
software seem a bit brain-dead compared to my old unit. I wasn't that
surprised that it had very few configuration options - the old 175
actually too many. But I was rather dismayed at the lack of
functionality with Routes.

First of all, it only holds 20 Routes. This is not a big problem, but
still rather surprising. But then I discovered that Routes are not
reversible, meaning that I would have to enter two routes for every
commonly used path. And while editing I discovered that this is quite
limited - it was impossible to add a waypoint to the end of a route!
And finally, this is no "table display" that shows a list of the
waypoints along the route, with useful bits of information like
distance, time, heading, etc.

Frankly, I can live with the limitations, but I can't help but wonder
why they took a major step backwards in this area. Am I missing
something? Is there a magic button the opens up the functionality, or
some option I have to buy? Or do they think Routes are a bad function
they would prefer to phase out?

Garmin Routes Jeff Cruising 4 June 18th 07 07:27 PM
Destinator SP version 2007, and myDestinator Traffic in 20 U.S. cities, GPS Navigation, and the Physician Database for USA 2007 EDITION, and the 19 Millions Vol.14 EMail Address List CD, 2007 EDITION [email protected] General 1 April 14th 07 04:09 AM
Garmin GPS error & USCG 'Consumer Safety Defect' Report [email protected] Electronics 21 March 5th 07 12:22 AM
Nmea /dsc speckfisher Electronics 54 January 15th 07 02:32 PM
Garmin Routes and Tracks MarshallE Cruising 4 June 28th 06 01:47 PM