posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Garmin Routes

This weekend I installed a new GPS on the boat - a Garmin GPSMAP 545.
This is the first new GPS I've had in 10 years - the old one is a
GPSMAP 175, a handheld mapper that relies on obsolete chart chips.

The new machine is awesome! Bright, crisp 480x640 color display, all
US charts built in, fast processor. The problem I have is that the
software seem a bit brain-dead compared to my old unit. I wasn't that
surprised that it had very few configuration options - the old 175
actually too many. But I was rather dismayed at the lack of
functionality with Routes.

First of all, it only holds 20 Routes. This is not a big problem, but
still rather surprising. But then I discovered that Routes are not
reversible, meaning that I would have to enter two routes for every
commonly used path. And while editing I discovered that this is quite
limited - it was impossible to add a waypoint to the end of a route!
And finally, this is no "table display" that shows a list of the
waypoints along the route, with useful bits of information like
distance, time, heading, etc.

Frankly, I can live with the limitations, but I can't help but wonder
why they took a major step backwards in this area. Am I missing
something? Is there a magic button the opens up the functionality, or
some option I have to buy? Or do they think Routes are a bad function
they would prefer to phase out?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

My almost new (and cheaper) Garmin 292 can hold 50 routes. Don't know how to
add a wpt in the route using the table, but it's quite easy i the graphic
mode. Show the route on the screen, use the cursor to mark the "sub-leg"
where you want insert af wpt. Press enter and use the cursor to place the
new inserted wpt.

You can use the mapsource PC program to reverse routes, but I think your
right it becomes a seperate route. Have you tried the trackback function ?
It might meet your need.

Bjarke

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

* Bjarke M. Christensen wrote, On 6/18/2007 1:29 AM:

Thanks for the response ...

My almost new (and cheaper) Garmin 292 can hold 50 routes.

Yes, it seems like they decided that too many routes are bad - they
certainly can't save much money by only giving me 20.

Don't know how to add a wpt in the route using the table,

At least you get a table! Leaving this out seems to be a signal that
routes are considered bad.

but it's quite easy i the graphic
mode. Show the route on the screen, use the cursor to mark the "sub-leg"
where you want insert af wpt. Press enter and use the cursor to place the
new inserted wpt.

This works on mine for inserting a wpt between two existing, but not
for adding on the end. Without reversing routes, wpts get used in
multiple routes, so moving them to insert others is not a good
solution either.

You can use the mapsource PC program to reverse routes, but I think your
right it becomes a seperate route.

Yes, but since all charts are built in (i.e. already paid for and no
PC software) I don't have that option, unless there's a way to get
MapSource for free. In fact, the cheap Waypoint Manager does not list
the new products in its compatibility chart. I was able to use
Coastal Explorer to patch up my favorite routes, but that requires
having a PC connected to the GPS. I don't think I can transfer gpx
files with the SD card, and I haven't found any freebe software that
works with the Garmin format on the SD.

Have you tried the trackback function ? It might meet your need.

It might, if I had Traceback! That's another feature Garmin decided I
don't deserve!

This has led me to believe that my old way of using the GPS may be
"obsolete." Perhaps routes shouldn't be reversible because the new
GPS is accurate to each side of even the narrowest channel. The track
display is so prominent that a traceback function might not be needed.
And the screen display is so large and fast that finding the next
mark to go to is not an ordeal.

But still, it seems like Garmin wants us to use routes as disposable,
one time entities, not something to be refined and reused over and over.

Jeff wrote:
This weekend I installed a new GPS on the boat - a Garmin GPSMAP 545.
This is the first new GPS I've had in 10 years - the old one is a
GPSMAP 175, a handheld mapper that relies on obsolete chart chips.

The new machine is awesome! Bright, crisp 480x640 color display, all US
charts built in, fast processor. The problem I have is that the
software seem a bit brain-dead compared to my old unit. I wasn't that
surprised that it had very few configuration options - the old 175
actually too many. But I was rather dismayed at the lack of
functionality with Routes.
First of all, it only holds 20 Routes. This is not a big problem, but
still rather surprising. But then I discovered that Routes are not
reversible, meaning that I would have to enter two routes for every
commonly used path.

That is kind of bizarre. Sounds like they convened a software design
group that was comprised of all the better corn farmers in the Olathe,
KS area.

My old GPSMAP 188 (and my newer 76Cx handheld) will do 50 routes with up
to 50 waypoints each. The 188 has 50 routes with 50 waypoints and a
3,000 waypoint max. The "newer and better is less capable and dumber"
concept is getting more pervasive at Garmin all the time.

On my 188, to reverse a route you use NAV to look at the route list,
select one and choose Activate or Invert and Activate. And I think that
is the way your 175 worked too, no? But you can't do that on the 545?

And while editing I discovered that this is quite
limited - it was impossible to add a waypoint to the end of a route! And
finally, this is no "table display" that shows a list of the waypoints
along the route, with useful bits of information like distance, time,
heading, etc.

Wow, that is another major omission.

I looked at the online manual for that and it says the BlueChart data is
stored in main memory and that User Data (waypoints, routes, and tracks)
can be transferred to and from the SD card. If you got a copy of the
MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager with that, maybe that would be an
option for editing and reversing routes. But that would not give you
any marine details unless you had BlueChart on the PC too.

I use BlueChart from a microSD card on my 76Cx and that works well and
has all the route building and editing features built into it. I
elected to buy BlueChart on a DVD for that and is loaded to the card
from a MapSource install on a PC. But it does not look like having and
using the charts on the PC is an option for the 545.

Garmin quit shipping DVDs with the mapping data along with the newer
preloaded automobile units. So some owners noticed that they could not
plan routes on a PC and upload them because they did not have the
MapSource install and map data on the PC. Garmin solved that for the
owners that called and asked for it by sending them the MapSource DVD
that had the same mapping as was preloaded.

You might try calling Garmin support 1 800 800 1020 and seeing if there
is a similar option for you.

Frankly, I can live with the limitations, but I can't help but wonder
why they took a major step backwards in this area. Am I missing
something? Is there a magic button the opens up the functionality, or
some option I have to buy? Or do they think Routes are a bad function
they would prefer to phase out?

Garmin appears to be severely deficient in the area of designing
software for their GPS receivers. I don't know if they are as clueless
as it appears about how their units are used but my impression is that
there few knowledgeable people involved in the designs and that there is
little or no interface or dialog with the real world on their products.

To not be able to build, reverse, edit, and modify routes from the GPS
receiver on the water is not only silly and very limiting, it can be
dangerous.

My 76Cx does an okay job on the water as far as navigating the routes
but it has some quirks that make it less adept in that environment than
the old Magellan Meridian that it replaced was.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

I felt bad when I realised new models were coming out 1 month after I payed
for my 292. Now I feel much better. I just checked the manual. The 292
(similar to your 392 and 492) does both trackback and reverse route. Also it
holds 300 wpt in each of the 50 routes. Not to make you feel bad (really),
but it seems like 292/392/492 is the last proper gps from garmin ? It even
lets you chhose between the ordinary data cards and teh to-expensive G2
maps. Only problem is that it's on the old proprietary cartridges.

Bjarke

Garmin Routes Jeff Cruising 4 June 18th 07 07:27 PM
Destinator SP version 2007, and myDestinator Traffic in 20 U.S. cities, GPS Navigation, and the Physician Database for USA 2007 EDITION, and the 19 Millions Vol.14 EMail Address List CD, 2007 EDITION [email protected] General 1 April 14th 07 04:09 AM
Garmin GPS error & USCG 'Consumer Safety Defect' Report [email protected] Electronics 21 March 5th 07 12:22 AM
Nmea /dsc speckfisher Electronics 54 January 15th 07 02:32 PM
Garmin Routes and Tracks MarshallE Cruising 4 June 28th 06 01:47 PM