MarshallE

Default Garmin Routes and Tracks

Anybody know of a site where boaters can trade routes and even
better.....actual tracks that have been saved knowing the draft of the boat?

I am trying to work my way around the charts on the back side of Cape
Lookout off the North Carolina coast. Local knowledge would be very
beneficial.

thanks
marshall

Wayne.B

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:43:17 GMT, "MarshallE"
wrote:

Anybody know of a site where boaters can trade routes and even
better.....actual tracks that have been saved knowing the draft of the boat?

I understand what you are trying to accomplish but can't help thinking
that it is a somewhat dangerous way to navigate. I'd encourage more
traditional methods such as proceeding slowly on a rising tide.

DSK

MarshallE wrote:
Anybody know of a site where boaters can trade routes and even
better.....actual tracks that have been saved knowing the draft of the boat?

I am trying to work my way around the charts on the back side of Cape
Lookout off the North Carolina coast. Local knowledge would be very
beneficial.

Where do you want to go? Lookout Bight is easily accessible
from Beaufort Inlet, just sail a couple of miles east along
the outer beach of Shackleford Banks. Back Sound and Core
Sound are very shallow, any boat with more than about 4'
draft will find it very difficult going. Since it hasn't
been surveyed in a long time, the chart soundings are really
no more than guesses. Another thing to consider is that last
years hurricanes shifted the channels considerably.

A few years ago my wife & I used to sail around Harkers
Island and further up Core Sound, but that was in a
centerboard boat and we often pulled right up to the beach.
It's a lovely place.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

beaufortnc

I'll second what Doug says,

Anything but a shoal draft sailboat will not have fun on the inside of
Shackleford, or on the route from Cape Lookout to Harkers Island.

Best route is from the Cape to the Beaufort Inlet. North wind is the
best - it puts you in the lee of Shack.

Mike.

DSK wrote:
MarshallE wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I have plotted using latest charts from Garmin and have created 3 routes.

My power boat drafts about 2 feet....fun on the back side of the Cape.

My sailboat drafts abut 4 feet...fun on the front side.

I would not want to run someone else's bread crumbs or tracks at full speed
but would like to find "local knowledge"....believing that though
risky...would be better than latest charts.

I am surprised that there is not a site out there with thousands of
downloads of this and that trip from others. (might be a fun site for many)

We will be in Beaufort for the Tall Ships...have been looking forward to
this trip for months.

Best Wishes,

Marshall

oups.com...