posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default Garmin Routes

My almost new (and cheaper) Garmin 292 can hold 50 routes. Don't know how to
add a wpt in the route using the table, but it's quite easy i the graphic
mode. Show the route on the screen, use the cursor to mark the "sub-leg"
where you want insert af wpt. Press enter and use the cursor to place the
new inserted wpt.

You can use the mapsource PC program to reverse routes, but I think your
right it becomes a seperate route. Have you tried the trackback function ?
It might meet your need.

Bjarke

"Jeff" wrote in message
This weekend I installed a new GPS on the boat - a Garmin GPSMAP 545. This
is the first new GPS I've had in 10 years - the old one is a GPSMAP 175, a
handheld mapper that relies on obsolete chart chips.

The new machine is awesome! Bright, crisp 480x640 color display, all US
charts built in, fast processor. The problem I have is that the software
seem a bit brain-dead compared to my old unit. I wasn't that surprised
that it had very few configuration options - the old 175 actually too
many. But I was rather dismayed at the lack of functionality with Routes.

First of all, it only holds 20 Routes. This is not a big problem, but
still rather surprising. But then I discovered that Routes are not
reversible, meaning that I would have to enter two routes for every
commonly used path. And while editing I discovered that this is quite
limited - it was impossible to add a waypoint to the end of a route! And
finally, this is no "table display" that shows a list of the waypoints
along the route, with useful bits of information like distance, time,
heading, etc.

Frankly, I can live with the limitations, but I can't help but wonder why
they took a major step backwards in this area. Am I missing something?
Is there a magic button the opens up the functionality, or some option I
have to buy? Or do they think Routes are a bad function they would prefer
to phase out?