posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default OceanPC Monitor

I purchased a boat some 3-years ago and it came with an OceanPC
configuration. I have long since replaced the base PC unit - windows 98, 8GB
and 512MB just didn't hack it. However, the LCD Display worked at least
until this season.

I'm looking for a manual for the OceanPC display unit. It has been rather
dark since I powered it up a couple of months ago and I managed to convince
myself it was simply an ambient temperature issue. Now the temperature is
above 50-degrees it is becoming difficult to sustain that conclusion! I'd
like to better understand the 15" unit in order to see if I can affect a
repair or at least convince myself that the $1,500+ is worth spending. The
unit still work, but..

I've done the normal Google stuff, I'd appreciate any opinion or guidance on
how I can solve this problem.

Device failure has nothing to do with global warming and the competency of
the administration is also likely to be irrelevant (mutual ignorance).

Thanks for any input,

Dave

Dave Isherwood wrote:
[...]

I remember the excitement when the OceanPC's first appeared but the
company did not last long. Here is a leftover link to one of their
brochures:

http://www.goflow.com/oceanpc.htm

I saw one or two of their units on high end yachts 4-5 years ago but the
company seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. I'd have
to think that monitors of that brightness and weatherproofing are around
though. In fact, they should be both better and cheaper now than they
were then.

Here is one person's story on getting one fixed:

http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...il/090400.html

I wouldn't be surprised that, with the symptoms that you are describing,
you are not having a similar problem. But finding expertise like that
and the bits and pieces to do a repair is pretty tough. Maybe the
gentleman at that link can help.

Is that a surface mount with a sealed exterior and the back open to the
interior of the boat? Or a pedestal mount that is completely
weatherproofed?

I don't remember the specs on the OceanPC but I'd think a replacement
would have to be one of the industrial grade monitors that have around
1,500 NITS and are rated for NMEA 4x/12 specs. Are you able to get
something like that for the $1,500 you mention?

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Help - cleaning a monitor JLH General 31 March 5th 07 12:04 PM
New Monitor Arrived Intact! JimH General 0 November 16th 06 01:15 AM
New Monitor Arrived Intact! JoeSpareBedroom General 23 November 15th 06 11:21 PM
Waterproof external monitor for laptop DPFresh Electronics 23 April 25th 06 08:46 AM
12 volt dc monitor hanz Electronics 4 April 19th 04 07:27 AM