posted to rec.boats.electronics
DPFresh

Default Waterproof external monitor for laptop

Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Keith

How about a wireless? http://www.nobeltec.com/products/prod_tb_wnd.asp
Or these: http://www.bigbaytech.com/displays.htm

posted to rec.boats.electronics
GBM

If you go on eBay and do a search for '7 VGA monitor', you will come up with
many 7" monitors that may suit you. These are not waterproof, but they are
touchscreen which allows for remote control of laptop and could perhaps be
protected with a plastic cover in bad weather. They are relatively
inexpensive. Here is one typical auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Lilliput-7-T... QcmdZViewItem

I had been thinking about doing this myself, but now use my iPaq PPC with
Fugawi - It works well both on the boat and in the car and in bad weather I
just drop a ziploc bag over it.

A new product should be on the market soon - The so-called Ultra Mobile -
Samsung, Asus and others will have them. These units are bigger than an iPaq
but smaller than a laptop and ideal for mobile computing and GPS display.
Again, they won't be weatherproof, but as with the iPaq, should be easily
protected in bad weather with plastic cover or just put it down below or on
a bracket?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/hardware.mspx

Good Luck!

GBM

"DPFresh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

DPFresh wrote:
Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

Waterproof daylight-viewable TFT monitors were available some years ago at
around $4000 US. You will not be able to see a "normal" TFT monitor until it
gets pretty dark, hence the advice not to use laptops out of doors.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Remco Moedt

On 20 Apr 2006 13:09:02 -0700, "DPFresh"
wrote:

Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

http://www.myelectronics.nl/index.ht...rget=d164.html

Select waterproof displays.

Don't know the thing.

Cheers!

Remco

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in news:7h92g.902
:

hence the advice not to use laptops out of doors

The other problem is that EVERY laptop you can buy has a glossy, flat
mirror protecting the LCD display. If you sit anywhere in bright light,
like outdoors or near a bright window indoors, the damned thing lets you
see YOURSELF or your surroundings smack dab in the middle of the picture.
It's like watching a movie through a mirror.....and really aggravating.

There's gotta be a better way....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

David,
There are several issues that make PC screens unsuitable for marine use.
There are considerations for power, protection from the harsh enrinment
etc., but a real driver that few people are aware of is night viewing. It is
imperitive that the display dims to black. PC monitors will not. Marine
grade monitors are more money for two reasons. One is certification tests
and the other is durability. Please check out this site.
http://www.hatteland.com/ They make a large majority of the available marine
screens relabled under different brands. If you avoid the commercial
certified screens and go with the yacht screens, you will end up with the
marine performance sans certification costs.

Please also be aware that when interfacing things like black box radars, be
aware of aspect ratio, not just screen size. If the screen size does not
physically match the resolution to be used, circles appear as ovals and that
really looks horrible.
Steve

"DPFresh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

At only 350 to 600 nits those exterior displays don't seem to be daylight
viewable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
[...]

"DPFresh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Glenn,
To be honest, I don't know if they are, but an email to them would sort it
out. I do know that they are very good and not too bad in price.
Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

"DPFresh" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Steve,

For night viewing, a special monitor is not needed, because software can
compensate. For example, Fugawi, one of the popular Nav programs has this
feature. To quote from their feature list:

"Dusk and Night vision display with color shifts designed to international
maritime standards."

We use this program on our boat and our car nav program 'iGuidance' has the
same feature whether I am using the laptop or iPaq.

GBM

Waterproof Screens Phil Stanton Electronics 17 June 20th 06 09:20 AM
Waterproof Camera muzz UK Paddle 4 January 1st 06 03:07 PM
Waterproof handheld VHF suggestions? Mika the Spamkiller Electronics 6 November 28th 05 12:50 AM
Commercial Post - Unotron waterproof keyboards RuggedTech Sales Electronics 2 October 5th 05 10:28 AM