posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Default Waterproof external monitor for laptop

Glenn,
To be honest, I don't know if they are, but an email to them would sort it
out. I do know that they are very good and not too bad in price.
Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
At only 350 to 600 nits those exterior displays don't seem to be daylight
viewable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
David,
There are several issues that make PC screens unsuitable for marine use.
There are considerations for power, protection from the harsh enrinment
etc., but a real driver that few people are aware of is night viewing. It
is imperitive that the display dims to black. PC monitors will not.
Marine grade monitors are more money for two reasons. One is
certification tests and the other is durability. Please check out this
site. http://www.hatteland.com/ They make a large majority of the
available marine screens relabled under different brands. If you avoid
the commercial certified screens and go with the yacht screens, you will
end up with the marine performance sans certification costs.

Please also be aware that when interfacing things like black box radars,
be aware of aspect ratio, not just screen size. If the screen size does
not physically match the resolution to be used, circles appear as ovals
and that really looks horrible.
Steve

"DPFresh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, different topic. SO in setting up my nav center - Dell laptop
with
SeaClear software... I want to keep the laptop in the cabin so as to
avoid
exposing it to elements... So I was thinking I could find some sort of
waterproof external monitor to run from the laptop to outside the boat
near
the tiller.... Does anyone know of such a monitor for this purpose?

Thanks,
David