posted to rec.boats.electronics
GBM

Default Waterproof external monitor for laptop

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
David,
There are several issues that make PC screens unsuitable for marine use.
There are considerations for power, protection from the harsh enrinment
etc., but a real driver that few people are aware of is night viewing. It

is
imperitive that the display dims to black. PC monitors will not.

Steve,

For night viewing, a special monitor is not needed, because software can
compensate. For example, Fugawi, one of the popular Nav programs has this
feature. To quote from their feature list:

"Dusk and Night vision display with color shifts designed to international
maritime standards."

We use this program on our boat and our car nav program 'iGuidance' has the
same feature whether I am using the laptop or iPaq.

GBM