hanz

Default 12 volt dc monitor

I'm looking for a 15 or 17-inch color LCD monitor for my computer. It
has to run on 12 volts. I'm not looking for an AC monitor. The monitor
has to run directly off the batteries.

The computer currently runs directly off my house batteries.

Thanx

Hanz

Peter Pan

"hanz" wrote in message

I'm looking for a 15 or 17-inch color LCD monitor for my computer. It
has to run on 12 volts. I'm not looking for an AC monitor. The
monitor has to run directly off the batteries.

The computer currently runs directly off my house batteries.

Thanx

Hanz

Not sure where you are at, but I have one in my RV (12VDC like a boat), got
it at chain electronics store (Best Buy at www.bestbuy.com). Be sure to find
one with an external ac/dc converter, that has a 12v cord that plugs into
the back of the LCD TV (which can be replaced with a straight connection to
my house wiring). While they have about 50+ models on their website, I got a
Samsung (the cheapest of course), stereo, built in tuner, multiple inputs
(VGA/1080i/Composite/etc) so I can hook up DVD/Sat/VCR/Computer/HDTV Tuner
etc, and a headphone jack for stereo sound output to my wireless speakers
(handy not to run wires, and also run off the 12VDC electrical system). Just
some pros, extremely lightweight and thin, mounts on the wall, much clearer
picture than a CRT, you can sit very close and never worry about x-rays.
Works as both a computer and video/TV monitor in one device. With the built
in tuner, can do PIP between computer and video stuff. (okay, I admit it, I
am watching TV (the sopranos on HBO) and surfing right now

Steve

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
k.net...
"hanz" wrote in message

Be sure to find
one with an external ac/dc converter, that has a 12v cord that plugs into
the back of the LCD TV (which can be replaced with a straight connection

my house wiring). While they have about 50+ models on their website, I got

snipe

I would be careful about hooking a sensative piece of electronic equipment
directly to you boats or RVs 12 volt system. Even though the unit maybe
rated for 12 vdc, many, many times your boat/RV system will be as high as
14.5 volts or higher due to alternator charging.

If any electronics is rated at 12 vdc but doesn't come with a actual 12 vdc
power cord (typical cigar lighter plug) then I would suspect that it isn't
intended to run directly off the boat circuit..

If you find a monitor that has a AC to 12 vdc wall transformer/power supply,
then investigate if the manufacture has a 12 volt to 12 volt power converter
or conditioner. If they do then use it. If they offer an optional 12 vdc
power cord, then all the better and the monitor must have some internal
protection or regulator.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

jdmarchand

Hanz:

I have used a Samsung Syncmaster TV/monitor on my boat and it works great.
They come in 15" and 17" models. It is a TV with an NTSC tuner and it also
has a VGA input connector (1024x768 for the 17") as well as composite and
S-Video inputs.

It is powered by a wall plug in transformer that puts out 12v DC. I went to
RS and found a matching male DC plug and made up a cigarette lighter cord.
It has worked on my boat for two years plugged into the boat's DC system.

David

"hanz" wrote in message
I'm looking for a 15 or 17-inch color LCD monitor for my computer. It
has to run on 12 volts. I'm not looking for an AC monitor. The monitor
has to run directly off the batteries.

The computer currently runs directly off my house batteries.

Thanx

Hanz

Meindert Sprang

"hanz" wrote in message
I'm looking for a 15 or 17-inch color LCD monitor for my computer. It
has to run on 12 volts. I'm not looking for an AC monitor. The monitor
has to run directly off the batteries.

As Steve already mentioned: be careful with connecting 12V screens directly
to the batteries. I have been involved in an installation on a 96ft
motoryacht, where 12 LCD touchscreens were installed throughout the vessel,
6 in the wheelhouse, two at the sun deck and the others scattered around the
vessel. These vere very expensive professional touchscreens, rated for 24V
operation. Within 2 months, almost all backlights failed due to the 28.8V of
the fully charged battery system. Installing 24V/24V power converters (one
for each screen) solved the problem.

Meindert