posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default HF Freq question for Larry

Back in 2000 the FCC eliminated the "Amateur Advanced" license as an upgrade
but all the published band plans still have 3,700 to 3,800 on 80 meters,
14,175 to 14,225 on 40 meters and 21,225 to 21,275 on 15 meters reserved
for Advanced and Extra. Any idea why there is still a separate rule for
Advanced when they no longer exist?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

Back in 2000 the FCC eliminated the "Amateur Advanced" license as an upgrade
but all the published band plans still have 3,700 to 3,800 on 80 meters,
14,175 to 14,225 on 40 meters and 21,225 to 21,275 on 15 meters reserved
for Advanced and Extra. Any idea why there is still a separate rule for
Advanced when they no longer exist?

You have your Facts a bit wrong here....the FCC over the years have
chaged the rules a number of times concerning the Advanced Class
License. What they have NEVER done is abandon, or eliminate, the
License itself. What they have done, a number of times, is not
allow any NEW Advanced Licenses to be issued, which is exactly the
case, today. Us Advanced Licensee's can keep our licenses and renew
them, but no New licenses will be issued. I could have applied for
and upgraded to an Extra, many years ago, after I received my
RadioTelgraph License, but choose to keep the Advanced because it
is a small CLUB that is unique aand limited in nature. and I really
don't talk to those Exclusive Extra's down on the XtraPortion anyway.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news:7E3uh.99531$jb3.54907
@newsfe18.lga:

Any idea why there is still a separate rule for
Advanced when they no longer exist?

Advanced Class licenses still exist and I think they are still being
renewed to current holders, last time I checked....

Ham radio has always resisted any changes to the status quo, especially
the ARRL who has always wanted to turn back the clock to 1939. They
fought against AM, SSB, RTTY, Packet and every digital mode. Then they
fought to preserve prime frequency territories for the old fart Extras
who never took a test in the first place, but happened to be born into
it. I'm old enough to remember them fighting Wayne Green (73 Magazine's
founder) over RTTY, trying to restrict it so much as to be useless.

FCC has gotten a dose of its own testosterone, of late, mostly from Riley
Hollingsworth. He gave a speech at our Charleston Hamfest a couple years
back, which was excellent. After the speech, he hung around, jealously
guarded by an ARRL official all dressed up to look like someone
important. I shook his hand and asked him, "Is this your ARRL handler?",
pointing to the suit next to him. The look on the ARRL suit's face was
one of shock. Any time an FCC official comes to a hamfest, ARRL is right
there to try to make sure he thinks ARRL is the official voice of all
hams, which might have been true many decades ago, but is not for the
last decades. FCC knows that and tries to do what it can to preserve ham
radio, lately, ESPECIALLY eliminating this 1939 Morse Code nonsense they
should have dumped in 1955...before I was forced to learn it for no
reason at all...

I never said code should be eliminated from ham radio. Those that love
code should be allowed to live in the 30's and use it. However, as code
has always been used as a phone band jamming device since the first AM
station started transmitting, I have always promoted the idea it be
CONFINED to the code-only part of the bands. Code has no place in the
phone bands, except as a jamming device of some jealous *******s.

I just hope it's not too late to save ham radio from its death of old age
and ARRL's reticence. Go to any hamfest and guess the average age of the
total attendees. My guess is now in the low 60's, where I am. Few kids
are interested. They have full duplex video conferencing in their
bedrooms on serious broadband with the whole world at their keyboard.
What the hell do they need some ancient form of communications for,
populated by an bunch of really nasty old *******s that bitch at them
using "their frequencies" just because they've had some totally
unnecessary traffic net on it for the last 60 years. Saving ham radio
may depend of waiting for death to free up HF for a newer generation.
Unfortunately, the newer generation could care less, having moved on to
better technology.

Oops...got a Skype call coming in from Guam. Who needs ham radio? Ah,
boaters...right.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

krj wrote in news:TM9uh.3963$p%6.3322
@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

You can't always tell if someone has an extra ticket by their call. I
keep w4ind because we are usually operating from the sailboat. I liked
WIND and as soon as they start processing vanity calls again my wife
will apply for W4AVE, WAVE.
de W4IND Extra Class

I hated the damned call FCC gave me with my Advanced ticket, KN4IM. I
swore to NEVER have another call with N and M in it, ever again, having
to repeat it over and over phonetically so the idiot on the other end,
who just HAD to have it right, could get it. So, I looked in QRZ for
possible vanity calls to replace it.

N4SEX was very tempting and open at that time...Not 4 Sex...great fun.

But, to my amazement, Charleston, South Carolina's namesake call had been
open for almost 4 years after the original owner died in the Shenandoah
Valley. That was my first choice, even though it was not an "Extra
Call" they all cherish. I wanted an original, well as original as FCC
will let us have, 1x3 call. So I got W4CharlestonSouthCarolina, W4CSC.
If I say it like that, they even get my location right...(c;

I've gotten permission from WCSC, our CBS affiliate, to take a picture of
their new broadcast TV building with the HUGE broadbased Doppler 5000
radar tower behind it for a picture QSL card. A little paintbrushed 4
over the WCSC door logo looks just great on my hamfest golf shirts. The
4 is in red and looks like someone painted it by hand...(c; I never
followed through on the QSL production as I rarely use them, any more,
and the ones I do send out seem to be more appreciated with Magnolia
Gardens Plantation cards from the tourist trap across the Ashley River
from me.
http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/
Watch the movie. These are my neighbors....(c; They even have a little
dock setup for the tour boats which refuse to come this far up the river
just to feed them. There's a webcam on the bridge, if it's working.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:00:38 -0500, Larry wrote:

....snip

FWIW... The ARRL tries to represent it's members and that usually means
the ones who make the most noise. That, in turn, usually means those who
are against change. I don't think the ARRL are intrinsically bad.

I never said code should be eliminated from ham radio. Those that love
code should be allowed to live in the 30's and use it. However, as code
has always been used as a phone band jamming device since the first AM
station started transmitting, I have always promoted the idea it be
CONFINED to the code-only part of the bands.

I don't agree. Some folks like code - what's wrong with that? Some folks
use code because code transmitters are by far the least expensive to build
and they aren't terribly rich.

Code has no place in the phone bands, except as a jamming device
of some jealous *******s.

Well, I'd agree with that, but I'm not on the air much, so I wasn't aware
that was going on.

I just hope it's not too late to save ham radio from its death of old age
and ARRL's reticence. Go to any hamfest and guess the average age of the
total attendees. My guess is now in the low 60's, where I am. Few kids
are interested. They have full duplex video conferencing in their
bedrooms on serious broadband with the whole world at their keyboard.
What the hell do they need some ancient form of communications for,
populated by an bunch of really nasty old *******s that bitch at them
using "their frequencies" just because they've had some totally
unnecessary traffic net on it for the last 60 years. Saving ham radio
may depend of waiting for death to free up HF for a newer generation.
Unfortunately, the newer generation could care less, having moved on to
better technology.

Unfortunately, there's a lot to agree with there. The expense connected
with the hobby has risen quite a bit as well. If it isn't something one
likes as a sport or hobby, it is a lot cheaper to get involved with
computers. FWIW, I'm 66 and licensed since I was 14 - I hope I'm not a
"nasty old *******"...
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Larry wrote in :

FWIW, I'm 66 and licensed since I was 14 - I hope I'm not a
"nasty old *******"...
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com
1/26/2007 10:51:02 AM

Me, either! I'm 61, licensed since I was 11 in 1957....

ARRL USED to represent the licensees of ham radio. I feel that is no
longer the case. Today, ARRL is a book and magazine specialty company.
Ham clubs don't try to force you to join just to look at all their
webpages.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj krj is offline

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Back in 2000 the FCC eliminated the "Amateur Advanced" license as an upgrade
but all the published band plans still have 3,700 to 3,800 on 80 meters,
14,175 to 14,225 on 40 meters and 21,225 to 21,275 on 15 meters reserved
for Advanced and Extra. Any idea why there is still a separate rule for
Advanced when they no longer exist?

Advanced class hams do exist. They can remain Advanced as long as they
renew their ticket or die if they don't want to upgrade to Extra class.
There just is no licensing for new Advanced class hams.

73 de w4ind

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Back in 2000 the FCC eliminated the "Amateur Advanced" license as an upgrade
but all the published band plans still have 3,700 to 3,800 on 80 meters,
14,175 to 14,225 on 40 meters and 21,225 to 21,275 on 15 meters reserved
for Advanced and Extra. Any idea why there is still a separate rule for
Advanced when they no longer exist?

Glenn
There are currently (as of 1/24/07) 69559 Advanced Class hams, 108344
Extra Class and there are still 23349 Novice class hams.
73
de w4ind