posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Furuno Radar Problem

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Oh, for gosh sakes, I thought as an "Old Timer", I'd seen or heard of
everything!
I've never seen that bearing froze up!
Thanks for reporting back.

Old Chief Lynn

That really makes no sense Lynn. If the Bearing was froze, the antenna
wouldn't Rotate, and it wuld be evident externally. Now if the Rotory
Joint was froze, the Alignment Keeper on the top of the T/R Pan, would
have to be missing, or broken to allow for the miss-alignment of the two
Flanges. It should only give a very narrow widow of passable RF. Just
a couple of degrees, plus or minus, at each correct alignment.

If the later, is the case, then I am with you, very strange occurance,
indeed.....

Bruce in alaska that would be one for the Books.......

"Sun Dragon" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies, I took the scanner unit apart and found the

problem
to be the waveguide coupling bearing was siezed up. Because the waveguide

is
rectangular in shape and oriented with the long dimension fore and aft
produced the target display problem of not seeing targets port and stbd!

thanks again.

"Sun Dragon" wrote in message
I have a small Furuno radar where the echo return image is missing on the
left and right portion of the screen. The fore and aft images are fine.

I suspect the "brushes" or slip rings in the scanner unit are worn in

the
2 o clock thru 4 o clock and the 8 o clock thru 10 o clock regions.
Am i correct in this assumption and if so, are kits available to renew

the
contacts in the scanner?

Thanks,

Capt J. Vincent Collins
Master Oceans
F/V Sun Dragon

--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Oh, for gosh sakes, I thought as an "Old Timer", I'd seen or heard of
everything!
I've never seen that bearing froze up!
Thanks for reporting back.

Old Chief Lynn

That really makes no sense Lynn. If the Bearing was froze, the antenna
wouldn't Rotate, and it wuld be evident externally. Now if the Rotory
Joint was froze, the Alignment Keeper on the top of the T/R Pan, would
have to be missing, or broken to allow for the miss-alignment of the two
Flanges. It should only give a very narrow widow of passable RF. Just
a couple of degrees, plus or minus, at each correct alignment.

If the later, is the case, then I am with you, very strange occurance,
indeed.....

Bruce in alaska that would be one for the Books.......

Yup, once in a while the scanner bearing seal or water in the motor
housing would let the scanner main bearing get corroded or filled with gunky
stuff, but never saw the rotating joint freeze up!
I have, a couple of times, managed to successfully break, bend or
otherwise defeat the waveguide alignment scheme. Targets were not all that
lively, and wiped out the crystals in fairly short order. Probably didn't do
the maggie too much good either. Head hanging in shame. Again.

Old Chief Lynn

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

[...]

That's what you get when you don't use a good brand of relative
bearing grease!

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

[...]

No shame required, I amagine that it just wasn't totally thought thru...
and I actually went over and looked it up in the Service Manual.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics

.. Yup, once in a while the scanner bearing seal or water in the
motor
housing would let the scanner main bearing get corroded or filled with

gunky
stuff, but never saw the rotating joint freeze up!
I have, a couple of times, managed to successfully break, bend or
otherwise defeat the waveguide alignment scheme. Targets were not all

that
lively, and wiped out the crystals in fairly short order. Probably

didn't do
the maggie too much good either. Head hanging in shame. Again.

Old Chief Lynn

That's what you get when you don't use a good brand of relative
bearing grease!

Good grief, is that something made from aunts or cousins?..........
ducking...............

OCL

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in news:heWdneG_8-
:

That's what you get when you don't use a good brand of relative
bearing grease!

Good grief, is that something made from aunts or

cousins?..........
ducking...............

OCL

Our SPS-6 aboard USS Everglades (AD-24 may she rest in peace) ran on a
pair of Fallopian tubes. Every new ET aboard was sent down to After GSK
with a supply chit in his hands for a new pair for the radar as soon as
possible, to welcome him aboard.

The supply guys in After GSK were in on it. They'd act non-interested
and take the paperwork, stamping it properly, then go in the back and cut
off two 6" lengths of rubber surgical hose specially planted for the
newbie ETs. Of course, they'd make him SIGN for the new tubes before
leaving so we could publish proof of his stupidity in the ship's next
newspaper...(c;

There were two fittings on the SPS-6 antenna mount and one on the
Raytheon Pathfinder's mount that required relative bearing grease. It
came in a green government tube marked "Jelly, Petroleum" from Forward
GSK, a different series of ladders into the bilge level storeroom in the
bow.

Between the bogus supply runs and the mail bouy watch on the bullnose,
after a couple of weeks, it was real hard, for some reason, to get young,
green technicians to make any real supply runs....Until that time, it was
great fun!

Larry ET1
Supervisor - Shop 67B - Metrology Laboratory
USS Everglades (AD-24) '66-'69
Cruisin' the Med for Uncle Sam
posted to rec.boats.electronics

A roll of aluminum foil and a "green" deckhand made for good humor, I would
instruct the deckhand to wrap himself in foil, stand upon the foredeck, as
we would command him to hold himself in rather odd body positions while the
chief and myself up in the wheelhouse "tuned" the radar. If possible we
would do this in port, prefferably so the crews of other vessels could be
witness to the charade. The tinfoil hat was always the crowd pleaser.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

"Sun Dragon" wrote in
:

A roll of aluminum foil and a "green" deckhand made for good humor, I
would instruct the deckhand to wrap himself in foil, stand upon the
foredeck, as we would command him to hold himself in rather odd body
positions while the chief and myself up in the wheelhouse "tuned" the
radar. If possible we would do this in port, prefferably so the crews
of other vessels could be witness to the charade. The tinfoil hat was
always the crowd pleaser.

Darn. I never saw that trick.....(c; Thanks.

Bored to tears crossing the Atlantic for Naples at our breakneck speed of
17 knots, some of the boys in the DASH helo hanger got the bright idea to
screw with the CIC watch (an oxymoron in a tender with 2 3" cannons the
gummer's mates have to break out the manual to fire). They built a tin
foil kite out of Reynolds Wrap stolen from the galley, a really nice box
kite with fiberglass spars. The DASH helo deck was above our fantail and
a great place at sea to fly kites, which up to this point was no problem.
They had about 3 miles of some exotic monofilament line with an amazing
tensile strength, but little weight/mile.

After darken ship (why we did that was always a mystery), when you
couldn't see it, they flew the kite behind Everglades and payed out lots
of this tiny line. The kite was quite large and had a lot of lift. It
would fly back until you could hardly see it, its line seemingly trailing
off to nowhere. Flying above the fantail watch, who was looking at the
horizon, not for the Luftwaffe above, he reported nothing. Not so the
radar operator in CIC. He sounded the alarm of a UFO trailing the ship
on the Raytheon Pathfinder (SPS-21) display at about 2 miles. The watch
reported no sighting as the kite was too far away by the time he looked
for it. The ship's log was duly noted and everyone aboard, mostly the
enlisted ratings who knew all about what was going on, was told to keep a
sharp eye.

Every night, for over a week, this "thing" would show up on radar in the
dark and trail the ship for hours...Then, just after midnight, it would
approach the ship and disappear, suddenly, off the radar less than a mile
away, undetectable.

Finally discovered what it was by the Comm Officer who observed its
launch from the deck outside Radio Central one night, the jig was up.
The airdales on the helo deck apologized and said they'd been flying many
kites. This one was just new. They pleaded innocent, which they
weren't. Our captain decided it was a great test of CIC efficiency, an
unintended drill of great success. The kite continued to fly, but with a
new Saran Wrap covering that was radar transparent, compliments of the
Chief Radarman and cooks....(c;

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!
posted to rec.boats.electronics

snip
Our SPS-6 aboard USS Everglades (AD-24)...

Sea stories? Oh boy! Now this one is a no ****ter. In 1965, up on one
of the westernmost islands in the Aleutian chain, we used to send guys
outside with a compass, a pair of binoculars, and a notepad, to watch
for the Russians making overflights.

They were told the aircraft would be either GU11's or B1RD's and to note
the number of aircraft in the flight, relative bearing, and approximate
distance. Sometimes we'd use two guys and one of them would be a runner
to bring the reports back in where they were plotted and tracked on a map.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

GpsMap 276C Enroute Goto Problem Pascal Electronics 2 September 26th 05 04:05 AM
Furuno 1721 MKII Compass input?? (long) Steve Electronics 3 January 13th 04 02:50 AM
Furuno Radar Daniel Electronics 1 November 3rd 03 05:11 PM
Furuno radar Daniel Electronics 0 November 3rd 03 09:10 AM
Radar and Basic Nav. Bobsprit ASA 97 September 5th 03 06:48 PM