posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

In article ,
"Sun Dragon" wrote:

I have a small Furuno radar where the echo return image is missing on the
left and right portion of the screen. The fore and aft images are fine.

I suspect the "brushes" or slip rings in the scanner unit are worn in the 2
o clock thru 4 o clock and the 8 o clock thru 10 o clock regions.
Am i correct in this assumption and if so, are kits available to renew the
contacts in the scanner?

Thanks,

Capt J. Vincent Collins
Master Oceans
F/V Sun Dragon

Depends on what model of Furuno display you have.... Most newer displays
have computer generated sweeps, and are Raster Displays. Should you
actually have a PPI with a real rotating Deflection Coil, do the
Range Rings, ALSO disappear along with the Targets? If Yes, then could
be the SlipRings, and or Brushes. If No, then it isn't the SlipRings
and or Brushes, as the Range Rings also have to go thru the same
connections as the target video. When you turn the "Gain" all the way
up, does the "Noise" also blank out in the same places as the Targets?
if Yes, then you have a Video problem. If No, then you have a receiver,
and or antenna problem. all the above is just basic Radar Repair
stuff....

Bruce in alaska an Old School Marine Radar Tech........
--
add a 2 before @