posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

"Larry" wrote

Come on, Chief! Haul out that big Weller that dims the lights when you
pull the trigger and unsolder those 80-wire ICs!...(c;

Geeze, Larry, now, as Bruce sometimes says, "I feel a story coming on".

Mike and I were in the pilot house of the Washington State Ferry "M/V
Vashon, performing
delicate surgery in the belly of a Furuno radar display. Transistor on a PCB
needed replacement.
I grabbed my trusty Weller D550 and Mike took the extension cord and
searched for an outlet.
He asked the Mate if he knew where there was 120 volts. Mate asked if 110
volts would do, there was an outlet
right behind that bench. Sure! Pulled the trigger on the Weller and nothing
happened. Just a little curl of smoke
from the gun's ventilation slots. Let go of the trigger and smoke, flames
and sparks came shooting out of all
the gun's vent slots. I threw the Weller gun on the pilot house deck and
started stomping on the fireworks display.
Mike looked terrified. I WAS terrified. Mate calmly pulled the extension
cord plug out of the wall socket.
Mike noticed then that the outlet on the bulkhead was labeled "110 Volts
DC". Sheesh. Be glad rocket science is
not our profession.

Old Chief Lynn (Larry, I touched a Roland once!)

That's why I always carried a Weller Pencil Rsistance Heated Woodburner
in my Toolbox. didn't matter if it was AC or DC, as long as it was over
90V.

Bruce in alaska worked on to may converted WWII 110DC ships......
in my younger years.....
--
add a 2 before @