posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in
:

Seemed to be most sensitive
around a big ol' many legged surface mount chip not stocked at Furuno
USA. Board exchange fixed it quick enough, but not all that cheeeep.
Old Chief Lynn, 20 WPM Extra (and other wallpaper)

Come on, Chief! Haul out that big Weller that dims the lights when you
pull the trigger and unsolder those 80-wire ICs!...(c;

I took a Roland (keyboards and musical toys) tech certification course up
in Charlotte so I could get paid for doing warranty repairs on their
products. They were adamant at us troubleshooting these very dense
computer boards with surface mount technology down to the component
level. I asked, "Why? We're not going to replace anything that dense
out in the field...swap the boards and let Roland fix it." One of the
guys from NC wanted to go out in his truck and get HIS Weller so we could
swap out a few chips on the brand new expensive keyboards Roland was
showing off to the class. The Roland guy cringed and finally agreed
after the Good Ol' Boys showed their hands....(c;

ANY electronics, no matter how expensive, has become disposable after
about 4 years, some even less, now. The companies act as if a 5-year-old
electronic toy that cost $8000 never existed......corporate amnesia sets
in.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.