posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default 12 volt DC Voltage Stabiliser circuit

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

I have first hand experience with expensive touchscreen LCD's from
Xenex. These were 24V screens and a 90-240V adapter was supplied. 12
were installed in a 96' motor yacht and they all fried (backlight)
within 6 weeks. Turns out they could not stand 28.8V of a fully
charged battery bank, so we installed 24/24V DC/DC converters.

Meindert

Wow, what a piece of crap that thing was! Why didn't we take back the
DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS? Was the regulator in the wall adapter?? That's just
plain stupid, right there!

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called Earth.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I would like to thank everyone for their help and comments.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

If you can locate an HP F1064A it might do the trick. These are DC to
DC converters designed for older HP laptops that had a 12v input to be
ran off of a car battery. They supply around 60watts I think and
provided a regulated 12v out.

Getting a steady 12v out when the input is lower and sometimes higher
then the output is a more difficult job for DC to DC converts. These
old HP units handle it well. Have seen them on Ebay every once and a
while for around $20. (One is there now listed for over $100, and
incorrectly calling it an AC adapter.)

I am using one for to drive my LCD panel. And FWIW, when I measured
the output on the LCDs supplied AC adapter, it was 12.4v no load, down
to 12.2v under load.....

-al-

Al Thomason wrote:
If you can locate an HP F1064A it might do the trick. These are DC to
DC converters designed for older HP laptops that had a 12v input to be
ran off of a car battery. They supply around 60watts I think and
provided a regulated 12v out.

Getting a steady 12v out when the input is lower and sometimes higher
then the output is a more difficult job for DC to DC converts. These
old HP units handle it well. Have seen them on Ebay every once and a
while for around $20. (One is there now listed for over $100, and
incorrectly calling it an AC adapter.)

I am using one for to drive my LCD panel. And FWIW, when I measured
the output on the LCDs supplied AC adapter, it was 12.4v no load, down
to 12.2v under load.....

Good find Al. I searched the descriptions too for F1064A and there are
a few of those at more reasonable prices ($40 shipped) in one of the
eBay stores:

http://tinyurl.com/2u5bwx

The specs listed there a

INPUT: 9V - 24V DC, 8.5A MAX
OUTPUT: 12V DC 40W, negative-tip

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

"Al Thomason" wrote in message
If you can locate an HP F1064A it might do the trick. These are DC to
DC converters designed for older HP laptops that had a 12v input to be
ran off of a car battery. They supply around 60watts I think and
provided a regulated 12v out.

Getting a steady 12v out when the input is lower and sometimes higher
then the output is a more difficult job for DC to DC converts. These
old HP units handle it well. Have seen them on Ebay every once and a
while for around $20. (One is there now listed for over $100, and
incorrectly calling it an AC adapter.)

I am using one for to drive my LCD panel. And FWIW, when I measured
the output on the LCDs supplied AC adapter, it was 12.4v no load, down
to 12.2v under load.....

-al-

AL
Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like it could be one solution to
providing a steady 12 volts to those very expensive masthead LED lights.
Think I'll get one before the supply dries up g.

my new alternator is 194 degrees,.. Larry Cruising 4 September 18th 06 02:41 PM
Battery Meter Ernie General 79 May 25th 04 12:36 AM
Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
AC/DC Circuit Breakers Larry Cruising 0 July 31st 03 01:20 AM
AC/DC Circuit Breakers Larry ASA 0 July 31st 03 01:20 AM