posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default 12 volt DC Voltage Stabiliser circuit

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 00:53:10 GMT, wrote:

Actually a 60 watt load is a lot for a non switching regulator to do.
You don't want a switching type on a boat as it interferers with the radios.

I think your best bet is :
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte933.pdf
I have used this in airplanes with good luck before.

NOTE! USE a BIG heat sink!! it will get hot. If it gets too hot the device
will auto shutdown.

Captain Joe

The NTE933 is not a good choice for this application - the minimum
input/output differential (AKA dropout voltage) is 2.6 volts - on a
car or boat 12 volt system, this means that the NTE 993 regulator will
only be working as a voltage dropper, and not as a regulator.

I think that the only solution for the OP is a switching regulator
that can both buck and boost the input voltage.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca