posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

We started on the Great Loop in August with our two boys, one of whom
is using the Minnesota Online High School for 10th grade. We needed a
reliable connection and our research told us that free (or paid)
connections at marinas weren't going to be sufficient, and we were sure
right about that. Also, we anchor out a lot. So we bought the Verizon
Broadband Aircard and the associated Kyocera KR1 router that it fits
into, because our laptaps don't take the card.

We are very impressed with the coverage and speed. It even worked in
place like Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior where I'm not even sure they
have electricity yet. It has failed us in only five spots since August
4, places we couldn't get much of a cell signal either. The router
allows us wifi all over the boat, the anchorage and marina also. No
wonder we have made so many friends on this trip! Make sure to buy the
extra antenna that fits into the card. We aren't affiliated with
verizon and doubt if they will give us any commissions for the
promotion.

Now all we have to do is to figure out a similar sysem for the Bahamas.
We are familiar with the coverage and Outer Island Internet in the
Abacos, but would rather not buy a whole new setup to use for only six
weeks.

Jeff, Sally and the boys on "Adirondack"

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Tell us about the plan that you got from Verizon for internet connection.
How much does it cost a month and what kind of coverage do they have?

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

If you Google for Verizon Broadband, you should get the details.

From memory, it costs $49.95 for the card for your laptop and that's really
all you need. Then, it costs $59.95/month if you have a cellphone with
Verizon, or $79.95/month if you do not.

We used this system all down the East coast - It worked well, but there were
pockets where there was no coverage and definitely many areas away from
large centers where connections were slow - It seems to automatically switch
from hi-speed technology to slow speed where the newer technolgy does not
exist.

Regarding the Bahamas, only low cost way, is to use the free hot spots -
They do exista nd we have used them. Anyone know if there is a list
somewhere?

Gm1234 wrote:
If you Google for Verizon Broadband, you should get the details.

From memory, it costs $49.95 for the card for your laptop and that's really
[...]

try the following site;

http://pcworld.jiwire.com/

brian wrote:
Gm1234 wrote:
If you Google for Verizon Broadband, you should get the details.

From memory, it costs $49.95 for the card for your laptop and that's
really
[...]

sorry about replying to my own response.

here is another site.

http://www.free-hotspot.com/find_home.htm

brian

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Messing In Boats" wrote in
oups.com:

So we bought the Verizon
Broadband Aircard and the associated Kyocera KR1 router that it fits
into, because our laptaps don't take the card.

Coverage is outstanding and for your application it should be very high
performance......however.....

Those interested also need to know "Unlimited Access" does NOT mean
"unlimited usage", like a wifi or cable/DSL modem provides.

Verizon, specifically, includes 5GB/month of TOTAL data. This includes
the webpage spam, email avalanche, and everything else. Cellular has
never quite gotten over selling internet by-the-kilobyte, like it did for
years. Also buried in the long "agreement" is:

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html
"Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess,
BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be
used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet
browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to
corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like
customer relationship management, sales force, and field service
automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for
any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without
limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or
streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or
host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera
posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine
connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute
or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by
way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet,
downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets
is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services
and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is
prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one
hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited
uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a
month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to
protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We
reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and
to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is
using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or
whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using
more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the
service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to
immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We
also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer
Agreement term."

In short....no downloading, no streaming, no webcam of the boat on the
net, no gaming, no downloading MP3s from usenet or P2P, no movies,
etc....

$60/month buys you spam-soaked webpages, email and "company intranet",
which is how the school probably is configured for it....

Think it's not enforced? Read:
http://www.evdoforums.com/thread2366-0-asc-165.html
from the users, themselves. You'll see references to 10GB/month. That
was then....5GB is NOW. I guess VZW thought it was giving away the
farm....(c;

Thought I should point this LIMITED "unlimited" service out before a
bunch of liveaboards wasted money on an aircard and were slaves to a
discount contract, then got dumped for abuse and stuck with no
service....

Oh, NO VoIP services on an aircard, either! NO CHEAP SKYPE on cellular's
internet! (although I've used it and it works just fine on Verizon's
Aircards to Japan, Europe, India, etc....(c

brian wrote in :

http://www.free-hotspot.com/find_home.htm

These websites are OK, but no where near complete or accurate.

Everyone should also download Network Stumbler from:
http://www.stumbler.net/
Download and install like any other freeware/beggarware.

Run Net Stumbler on your laptop with its wifi radio on and it will LOG
and IDENTIFY every wifi broadcast it encounters. If you plug a GPS into
the laptop, one of those little USB GPS receivers works great, Net
Stumbler will log the lat/long of each wifi hotspot it encounters with
each entry. If GPS info is available, it also interfaces with Google
Maps like a chart plotter to plot all the entries in its database it
found, so you can print out a map and keep it for favorite hotspots. I
don't use this function, much. I just run Net Stumbler and pick out the
"target" hotspot in realtime for access.

Net Stumbler works much better than what XP comes with to find those
elusive open systems to use. Of course, it doesn't log onto each one of
them, so you may still encounter and password webpage logon to an open
hotspot and have to go begging/paying/spamming for access to it.

My favorite hotspots across any area are "Linksys" and "default", a
wireless router noone ever bothered to look at the setup webpage of...(c;

At Riverbend on the Ashley River you'll find the open hotspot SSID W4CSC
hooked to serious bandwidth from 50' up a tree with service up and down
the river for about a mile. Help yourself. Everyone who has bandwidth
needs to SHARE that bandwidth access with all the others....like mine.
Thanks.

Those that think if you connect to my open system as "stealing" in some
way, shouldn't. It's not illegal or immoral. One guy even beat a rap
the cops brought tracking his downloading habits. Snoopercop didn't like
the porn webpages accessed from his system. I'm sure it was him that did
the access, but because his wifi was wide open, his attorney pointed out
to the court it could have been anyone in a wide radius around his
apartment complex. As all Snoopercop had was his IP of his router...case
dismissed...(c; Mark one for personal freedoms.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:47:28 -0500, Larry wrote:

Those interested also need to know "Unlimited Access" does NOT mean
"unlimited usage", like a wifi or cable/DSL modem provides.

Verizon, specifically, includes 5GB/month of TOTAL data. This includes
the webpage spam, email avalanche, and everything else. Cellular has
never quite gotten over selling internet by-the-kilobyte, like it did for
years. Also buried in the long "agreement" is:

It should also be noted that Verizon specifically prohibits the use of
connection sharing or router devices such as the Kyocera KR-1.

Sprint, on the other hand, has no such restriction with their Air
Card.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Get yourself an UEB-362 USB wifi adapter for $70, a $100 marine wifi
antenna, a 15' USB cable and 20' of LMR-200 coax and you are set for Out
Island or any other available access point you find. The EUB-362 is about 5
times as powerful as a regular adapter and with a good antenna mounted That
can give you about 2 mile range to almost any hotspot.

The hotspot lookup sites list less than 5% of what is available. You should
find several in West End, New Providence, and Georgetown though you will
have much better luck ashore than on the boat. As Larry said, get a copy of
Net Stumbler so you can scout out what is available.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...

Larry wrote:

[...]

thanks for the info Larry about net stumbler.

Brian