posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

Perhaps you have never been to the Bahama Out Islands? - We are not talkng
about armchair sailing here, are we ?

Oh gee, what a surprise, an arrogant sailor! Yes, been there done that.

So you choose the spot to anchor based on the internet signal strength??
Great Idea!!

In all situations, of course not. But if someone wants connectivity, and a
great many people live for more than just the sail (even when sailing) it's
a fine idea.

The wifi software that comes with any wifi card, shows a list of available
networks AND their signal strength. Right now, I see my signal at 80% and

my
neighbour's at 18%! So, why do I need more software?

Have I used stumbler? - I downloaded it a year or so ago to my laptop and
checked it out - It did nothing as well as my PDA could do with no add-on
software.

Then you obviously haven't actually tried it. But hey, be pig-headed, it's
apparently in your nature.

And this is in the city, where there can be numerous signals - not
in an out island anchorage where there is seldom more than one available
signal, and a weak one at that.

And perhaps that's the best place for you. The company of others is
apparently not suited to you.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
t:

Perhaps you have never been to the Bahama Out Islands? - We are not
talkng about armchair sailing here, are we ?

Oh gee, what a surprise, an arrogant sailor! Yes, been there done
that.

OK, then maybe you can tell me where in the Bahama **Out Islands** you
found wireless. If you're talking Nassua or the Abacos, then yes, wireless
is available.

-- Geoff
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote

Oh gee, what a surprise, an arrogant sailor! Yes, been there done that.

Yes, I am sure you have. Arrogance has no bounds.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Geoff Schultz" wrote

OK, then maybe you can tell me where in the Bahama **Out Islands** you
found wireless. If you're talking Nassau or the Abacos, then yes,
wireless
is available.

Netstumbler was very useful on Exuma for finding signals. Found 3 usable
signals at Georgetown with weird radiation patterns. 200 yards made a lot
of difference in signal strength. Also at the Four Seasons Marina, Emerald
Bay, Staniel Cay and Cat Island.

Marina wifi antennas are aimed out over the slips and tend to fall off
rapidly near the edges of the pattern. If you can find the center of the
pattern you can be a fair ways off and still get a usable signal. The
problem with marina systems is that you have to go in and open an account
which cost a few bucks if you are not in a slip. A lot of villas along the
beach have unsecured APs too and they have very erratic patterns. Must
have something to do with the position of the AP to windows and metal in the
house. With a good wifi rig you can sometimes find them several hundred
yards off shore.

Coverage is hit and miss but with the right tools you can sniff out more
spots.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

[...]

Excellent report Glenn. That's why having a tool like NetStumbler is
useful. The normal built-in wifi software doesn't usually give you signal
strength meters. And the few that do usually don't have a rolling log of
it. With stumbler you get a bar chart showing you the signal strengths of
all the networks it could see, logged for as long as you have stumbler
active. So you can fire up stumbler and use it to hunt around a bit looking
for a good signal.

You're also right about the windows and metal. Many modern windows have a
coating (either for UV or tint) that seems quite effective at blocking wifi
signals. That and the wire put up behind most stucco also serves as a
rudimentary Faraday cage also blocking signals.

If you REALLY want to geek out and see more detailed wifi info then get a
linux boot CD with a program called kismet on it. kismet is like stumbler
on steroids. But it's overkill for most folks.

-Bill Kearney

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:37:47 -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:

If you REALLY want to geek out and see more detailed wifi info then get a
linux boot CD with a program called kismet on it. kismet is like stumbler
on steroids. But it's overkill for most folks.

And WarLinux is like kismet on steroids. ;-)

https://sourceforge.net/project/show...group_id=57253
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

War Linux is a package of Kismet, nmap. wavemon and several other wifi
utilities that are way past anything you would need for finding a place to
get connected. That is unless you are into black hatting. You really don't
need to hack into an AP in the Caribbean as when there are APs around most
of them are not secure anyway.

--

"thunder" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:37:47 -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:

If you REALLY want to geek out and see more detailed wifi info then get a
linux boot CD with a program called kismet on it. kismet is like
stumbler
on steroids. But it's overkill for most folks.

And WarLinux is like kismet on steroids. ;-)

https://sourceforge.net/project/show...group_id=57253

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
t:

That's why having a tool like NetStumbler is
useful.

If you boys cruise up the Ashley River to look at the gardens, you'll
find SSID W4CSC in the middle of the river bend just upstream from
Magnolia Plantation & Gardens (http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/) about
400 yards upstream from the end of the no-wake zone that protects the
plantation's riverbank. It's unprotected, 50' up my tree and runs 200mw
so there's plenty of signal and bandwidth for all.

Charleston City Marina, in the face of free internet with no restrictions
from The Harborage at Ashley Marina next door, easily in range of city
marina boats, gave up trying to boost revenues by selling internet and
now provides free internet to anyone with a wifi transceiver by simply
connecting. This goes along, also, with the City of Charleston's
peninsula-wide new free internet system that provides a throttled 110Kbps
wifi signal across the whole downtown area for anyone to use. The city
sells more bandwidth for a small fee to help pay for it and have a lot of
subscribers, locals like lawyers/doctors/business/real estate who buy the
wideband service with such mobility. It's been quite successful and self
supporting, I'm told.

Charleston is quite wifi friendly. My Netgear SPH101 Skype phone worked
at the tire dealer while I was waiting for them to replace the damned
Bridgestone super tire that couldn't stand the terrible pressure at 32psi
and bubbled the tread off the cord. That makes tire 3 with tread
separation from Goodyear and Bridgestone in the last 6 months....another
issue that needs fixing.

We Charlestonians WOULD appreciate it if you brought a little cash with
you and spent some while you're appreciating our free wifi hospitality,
however...(c;

Y'all come! Sit a spell! Have a Mint Julep on the veranda while the
kids play on the jogglin' board.
http://www.oldcharlestonjogglingboard.com/
Ship one home for later!
http://www.charlestonfavorites.com/

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Y'all come! Sit a spell! Have a Mint Julep on the veranda while the
kids play on the jogglin' board.
http://www.oldcharlestonjogglingboard.com/
Ship one home for later!
http://www.charlestonfavorites.com/

Funny you should mention jogglin' boards. I just built one for my
grandchildren. Finding a serviceable clear 2x10 pine board was harder than
finding old growth teak. They sell junk at the big box stores these days.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in
:

Funny you should mention jogglin' boards. I just built one for my
grandchildren. Finding a serviceable clear 2x10 pine board was harder
than finding old growth teak. They sell junk at the big box stores
these days.

--
Glenn Ashmore

Are there still TREES left that long?...(c;

I watched a guy come up to the checkouts at Home Depot with one of those
big carts that had two warped sheets of plywood on it, standing up in the
little channels. "They give you those warped up sheets?", I asked him.

He looked at me, oddly, looked at the plywood, whirled the cart around
and headed back down in the direction of the plywood department. It was
just awful what was on that cart! I wouldn't have used it to cover a
mudhole in the yard...(c;

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip