posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Messing In Boats Messing In Boats is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

We started on the Great Loop in August with our two boys, one of whom
is using the Minnesota Online High School for 10th grade. We needed a
reliable connection and our research told us that free (or paid)
connections at marinas weren't going to be sufficient, and we were sure
right about that. Also, we anchor out a lot. So we bought the Verizon
Broadband Aircard and the associated Kyocera KR1 router that it fits
into, because our laptaps don't take the card.

We are very impressed with the coverage and speed. It even worked in
place like Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior where I'm not even sure they
have electricity yet. It has failed us in only five spots since August
4, places we couldn't get much of a cell signal either. The router
allows us wifi all over the boat, the anchorage and marina also. No
wonder we have made so many friends on this trip! Make sure to buy the
extra antenna that fits into the card. We aren't affiliated with
verizon and doubt if they will give us any commissions for the
promotion.

Now all we have to do is to figure out a similar sysem for the Bahamas.
We are familiar with the coverage and Outer Island Internet in the
Abacos, but would rather not buy a whole new setup to use for only six
weeks.

Jeff, Sally and the boys on "Adirondack"