posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:18:58 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Get yourself an UEB-362 USB wifi adapter for $70, a $100 marine wifi
antenna, a 15' USB cable and 20' of LMR-200 coax and you are set for Out
Island or any other available access point you find. The EUB-362 is about 5
times as powerful as a regular adapter and with a good antenna mounted That
can give you about 2 mile range to almost any hotspot.

That's basically what I'm using and it works very well.

http://wlanparts.com/product/SUB-362EXT

http://wlanparts.com/product/OD24-9

http://wlanparts.com/product/LMR400CUSTOM

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote:

$60/month buys you spam-soaked webpages, email and "company intranet",
which is how the school probably is configured for it....

Think it's not enforced? Read:

If you want cheap data service with no restrictions, you can get
T-Mobile. I got a BlackBerry this summer and used it as a modem. The
data rate isn't bad (about the same as dialup) and with EDGE it can do
much better. The total cost is $30 a month, but voice calls are $0.20
a minute. I recently converted it to a "family plan" phone, and in
that mode unlimited BlackBerry data is only $20 a month on top of the
normal phone charge.

The browser built in is an HTML browser; most major sites recognize it
as a handheld and scale down the display, but you can force it to look
like normal IE if that's needed for some sites. When used as a modem
tethered to a PC everything just works, though I haven't tried Skype.
Unlike the other companies, TMo has no restrictions on tethered use.

Although some say T-Mobile coverage is not as good as Cingular/ATT or
Verizon, I haven't had any problem with T-Mobile on the New England coast.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Larry" wrote in message
brian wrote in :

http://www.free-hotspot.com/find_home.htm

These websites are OK, but no where near complete or accurate.

Actually, they are completely useless considering we were discussing finding
hotspots in the Bahamas.

GM

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

brian wrote in :

thanks for the info Larry about net stumbler.

Quite welcome! I've had great fun with it. I got a USB to serial cable
for my Gateway notebook and put data from the Garmin GPSmap 128S
GPS/plotter/sounder I bought at a thrift shop for $12 into it. GPRMC from
the Garmin plots great on Net Stumbler...

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Gm1234" wrote in
:

Actually, they are completely useless considering we were discussing
finding hotspots in the Bahamas.

See my other post about Network Stumbler (www.stumbler.net)....(c;

It works in the Bahamas.

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip
http://www.verichipcorp.com/
Tracked like a dog, every license/product/tax.
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor,
free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their
foreheads:
17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the
name of the beast, or the number of his name...

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Larry" wrote
See my other post about Network Stumbler (www.stumbler.net)....(c;

It works in the Bahamas.

The link doesn't work, but I am aware of stumbler. What use would a cruising
sailor put stumbler to?

I pull into a harbour in the Bahamas, drop the anchor. Once settled, I turn
on my laptop or pda and look for networks (the wifi card's software allows
this). If there happness to be a hotspot, fine. But if not, what do I do??
Pull up anchor and motor around until I find one - maybe in another harbour
20 miles way?

I guess I just don't see how this would be of practical use to someone who
is actually out there sailing.

GM

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

The link doesn't work, but I am aware of stumbler. What use would a
cruising
sailor put stumbler to?

I pull into a harbour in the Bahamas, drop the anchor. Once settled, I

turn
on my laptop or pda and look for networks (the wifi card's software allows
this). If there happness to be a hotspot, fine. But if not, what do I

do??
Pull up anchor and motor around until I find one - maybe in another

harbour
20 miles way?

I guess I just don't see how this would be of practical use to someone who
is actually out there sailing.

Have you tried it?

It's useful in seeing not only the available networks but their signal
strength. This can be very useful if you want to position yourself for a
better signal. Or aim an antenna if you're anchored such that it's
practical (as in, not a single hook swinging).

Leave it running on a laptop in reasonable view from the helm and you could
use it to find the most suitable spot to anchor BEFORE throwing out the
hook. Or to make a temporary connection to the net, get what you want and
move on to your anchorage.

It's a tool, like any other, that's useful to those that understand it.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote

Have you tried it?

It's useful in seeing not only the available networks but their signal
strength. This can be very useful if you want to position yourself for a
better signal. Or aim an antenna if you're anchored such that it's
practical (as in, not a single hook swinging).

Leave it running on a laptop in reasonable view from the helm and you

could
use it to find the most suitable spot to anchor BEFORE throwing out the
hook. Or to make a temporary connection to the net, get what you want and
move on to your anchorage.

It's a tool, like any other, that's useful to those that understand it.

Bill,

Perhaps you have never been to the Bahama Out Islands? - We are not talkng
about armchair sailing here, are we ?

So you choose the spot to anchor based on the internet signal strength??
Great Idea!!

Ever tried anchoring in Hopetown? And you are going to "aim" the antenna
from your anchored boat?

The wifi software that comes with any wifi card, shows a list of available
networks AND their signal strength. Right now, I see my signal at 80% and my
neighbour's at 18%! So, why do I need more software?

Have I used stumbler? - I downloaded it a year or so ago to my laptop and
checked it out - It did nothing as well as my PDA could do with no add-on
software. And this is in the city, where there can be numerous signals - not
in an out island anchorage where there is seldom more than one available
signal, and a weak one at that.

GM

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Gm1234" wrote in news:iTdoh.64166$Qm2.28386
@read1.cgocable.net:

We are not talkng

Can any psychologists in the audience tell me why the mere mention of
something different can cause so much controversy?

I mentioned a freeware tool noone is forced to buy or use.

I get gang warfare under the interstate bridge on the East Side with
motorcycle chains and razor blades.

WTF???

Maybe it happens when boats are put up for the Winter and testosterone
levels get elevated.....(c;

I think it's cool...tied to a GPS then plotted on Google Maps is really
cool.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

And might I add: USEFUL

Thank you Larry