posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Air Marine 403 up in the mast

Allo,
I have a 40' ketch and the only place I found where to install the Air
Marine is up in the rear mast, just above the radar. I have never seen such
an installation and I am wondering why. Do you know of somebody having done
it and if so, what were the pros and cons.
Because of the length of the boom, there is no room at the rear of the boat
to put a mast for a wind generator there.
Any suggestion?

Good winds

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Gilles Ethier" wrote in news:5BeYg.20008$Jb4.353822
@weber.videotron.net:

what were the pros and cons.

I wonder what that will do to the balance (windgens are heavy) and the wind
mizzenmast....??

I suppose it won't matter much, though, as the mizzen sail doesn't load it
much at all on Lionheart (Amel Sharki 41).

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Gilles
I saw a ketch in Port Vila which had the AirMarine ontop the Mizzen.

I (and two copied me) chose to mount mine roughly half way up the
mizzen because of cable length/losses on a bracket I designed.

It looks a bit like the left hand side of the capital H with the right
hand
vertical the mizzen and the left leg bent towards the mizzen. The
mountings
are shaped to the profile of the mizzen.

In this position it works very well, cable losses are at a minimum and
more important there is no vibration transmitted down the mizzen into
the aft cabin. My iAir is probably 5/6 years old (the version which
gives
a thump when changing speed). Even the thump is barely noticable.

The proof in the pudding as they used to say is that others have copied
it
with similar reactions.

I placed pieces of tractor tube between the two mounts to give added
anti vibration effect but as the mounts themselves are pop-rivetted to
the mizzen, I wonder if this works.

lozza

Butt joint Mast? Cruising 15 July 7th 06 03:37 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
keel stepped/deck stepped masts Parallax Cruising 46 April 24th 04 05:50 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM