Default Butt joint Mast?

When I noticed a pop rivetted butt join on the mast of a new boat I
suspected a mast repair job? When asking the US mast manufacturing company
as to why a pop rivetted butt joint was present on a 45 feet long new mast,
they replied that the longest aluminium extrusion available was 40 feet
long. They also stated that it was standard practice in the industry to butt
joint the length of a mast after 40 feet. They said that their masts were
elongated by inserting an internal sleeve and securing the joint with pop
rivets. They also mentioned that other manufacturers were using butt welding
technique instead of pop rivets.

Maybe this is standard practice but it was an eye opener for me. As anyone
notices that before?

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:14:01 GMT, wrote:

When I noticed a pop rivetted butt join on the mast of a new boat I
suspected a mast repair job? When asking the US mast manufacturing company
as to why a pop rivetted butt joint was present on a 45 feet long new mast,
they replied that the longest aluminium extrusion available was 40 feet
long. They also stated that it was standard practice in the industry to butt
joint the length of a mast after 40 feet. They said that their masts were
elongated by inserting an internal sleeve and securing the joint with pop
rivets. They also mentioned that other manufacturers were using butt welding
technique instead of pop rivets.

Maybe this is standard practice but it was an eye opener for me. As anyone
notices that before?

Yup, my boat.

I think, though, the max extrusion length is more than 40 feet.
Catalina 36 bridge clearance is 55 feet and they have one piece
masts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it except the appearance of the joint.
A good place to put it is right at the spreaders where the increased
wall thickness actually helps with local loads and the joint is less
visually apparent.

--

Roger Long

wrote:

When I noticed a pop rivetted butt join on the mast of a new boat I
suspected a mast repair job? When asking the US mast manufacturing company
as to why a pop rivetted butt joint was present on a 45 feet long new mast,
they replied that the longest aluminium extrusion available was 40 feet
long. They also stated that it was standard practice in the industry to butt
joint the length of a mast after 40 feet. They said that their masts were
elongated by inserting an internal sleeve and securing the joint with pop
rivets. They also mentioned that other manufacturers were using butt welding
technique instead of pop rivets.

Maybe this is standard practice but it was an eye opener for me. As anyone
notices that before?

Standard practice.

I've had people who absolutely refuse to believe that our mast is all
one piece because he said the only boat where it wasn't that way was
carbon fiber.

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:14:01 GMT, wrote:

When I noticed a pop rivetted butt join on the mast of a new boat I
suspected a mast repair job? When asking the US mast manufacturing company
as to why a pop rivetted butt joint was present on a 45 feet long new mast,
they replied that the longest aluminium extrusion available was 40 feet
long. They also stated that it was standard practice in the industry to butt
joint the length of a mast after 40 feet. They said that their masts were
elongated by inserting an internal sleeve and securing the joint with pop
rivets. They also mentioned that other manufacturers were using butt welding
technique instead of pop rivets.

Maybe this is standard practice but it was an eye opener for me. As anyone
notices that before?

It's been many years, but I used to work in an aluminum extrusion
plant. We certainly were not limited to 40' max length.

Frank

Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

On our type of boats, the limiting factor was shipping not
manufacture. The manufacturer used whatever they could get the best
price on and there are many different mast profiles that they used.
Some of the boats have the two piece mast and some do not.

Most of our masts were either 56 feet or 65 feet above the waterline,
and they were keel stepped so you need to add another 7 feet or so
onto that.

Why would a company like Selden tell me that they can only get 40 feet
length extrusion? Shipping could be one of the reason?
The brand new Hunter 33 I saw has a splice above the roof top. When one of
our club member drop his mast (Hunter) it broke in two parts. So when I saw
this new Hunter with a spliced mast and pop rivets It gave me food for
thought. They only other time I saw pop rivets on a sliced mast was when my
friend got dismast and had to repair it with an internal sleeve, epoxy and
pop rivets.
I am not all that convince that all mast above 40 feet are sliced. Beside
Hunter I wonder who is making new sailboats with a spliced mast?

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Frank Boettcher wrote:

[...]

I am in the process of researching this right at the moment.

Selden spars are produced in Sweden and dressed out in Charleston, SC.
Shipping a bunch of spars from Sweden to Charleston in a container cost
about 1/10 what shipping an individual spar "break bulk" cargo. The maximum
length you can put in a 40' container is 39'6". If you order a custom mast
(and specify no splices you pay an outrageous price and it gets shipped
break bulk. If a production builder orders a couple of dozen masts they get
shipped in containers.

That's why I think I will have my spars made in Michigan. :-)
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:52:50 -0400, Glenn Ashmore wrote:

That's why I think I will have my spars made in Michigan. :-)

who/where in Michigan?

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM
Mast down (long) Peter S/Y Anicula ASA 1 July 1st 03 12:05 AM