posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default New plotter, make ?

Looking for advice...

I just bought a new pre-owned sailing boat and the GPS is not up to my
standard. I would like to have a plotter at the helm. In my old boat I had a
Garmin gpsmap 162 with bluechart maps but even if i liked the link to the
PC software I'm looking for a plotter slightly better. I was very impressed
by the way the 162 communicated with the PC software (mapsource), but I
found the 162 device to slow and difficult to read in direct sun. And I
don't know if I like that garmin lock in users to use only garmin charts.
Even if prices are ok.

My wishes a

Fixed system at the helm, colour screen 5-7 inches, connection to my PC at
the chart table so that I can plan and transfer waypoints and routes. I
don't want a 'PC only' solution. I would like a system that can run without
the PC.

What card system is the best choice: Navionics, CMAP, Garmin mapsource or
G2.

And how about the plotter. There's a lot of well known makes, but also less
well
known. What to choose?

Is it OK to lock your self into one product suite and to get better
functionality (and higher prices?) or should you mix the products?

There is many different chart systems out there and even more different
hardware to choose between. I'm confused. Any good advise and/or experience
is appreciated.

Expecting to spend approx 2000 USD but I'm flexible. My instruments and
wheel pilot are autohelm/raymarine.

--
Bjarke M. Christensen
http://www.MAXImalt.dk

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I love my Garmin 182C. I will be buying a big screen Garmin for my new
boat. I had been using BOTH the Garmin and Cap'n on a PC, but my old boat
has a pilothouse to keep the PC dry. Another idea is Garmin has a hand held
PC/GPS that you could install Cap'n or similar software and get free charts.
Most new Garmin plotters come with full set of US charts, is that what you
need?
Lee Haefele
"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in message
[...]

Funny. I've met so many happy 182C owners. I guess that talks in favour of
the 292C that must be improved new model of the 182C.

Don't like the handheld idea. I want a proper device that will do great
without the PC. I have a eTrex. Good for backup purpose and taking a walk in
a forrest but thats it.

Then if you opt for Garmin (still like to hear why not raymaring or a third
make) I guess the choice is between 292, the 20xx that is like the 292 just
with bigger screens and then the new "networked" 3000 series. Is it worth
the money ? In the 3000 series we are talking 3-4000 USD ...

Why havnt you been using mapsource instead of cap'n ? That would give you a
bunch of integration features ....

Bjarke

I wouldn't need
"Lee Haefele" wrote in message
.. .
I love my Garmin 182C. I will be buying a big screen Garmin for my new
boat. I had been using BOTH the Garmin and Cap'n on a PC, but my old boat
has a pilothouse to keep the PC dry. Another idea is Garmin has a hand
held PC/GPS that you could install Cap'n or similar software and get free
charts. Most new Garmin plotters come with full set of US charts, is that
what you need?
Lee Haefele
"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message ...
Looking for advice...

snip

[...]

I also have a 182C and am quite happy with it. Have it mounted at my helm
and have no trouble reading it during the day.
It may be a little slow as you zoom up and down but for just letting it run
to show your position its fine. Very accurate as well.
You can still buy the 182C on Ebay for around $400 I think.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in message

Why havnt you been using mapsource instead of cap'n ? That would give you
a bunch of integration features ....

Bjarke

My Garmin is before the preloaded charts, I did not buy every one. It was
$89 each, there were 8 to buy from NY-FL. The PC charts that are Maptech in
the US, have moderately more detail that the mapsource.
Just looked at a working Garmin 3210, looked good, owner says the radar
overlay is very accurate without a gyro compass, it seems that the GPS
provides the heading, if the boat is moving. Unit was preloaded with US
charts, including Bahamas. Base non detail charts of Carib were actually
pretty good except for harbors.
Lee Haefele

Bjarke Christensen wrote:
Funny. I've met so many happy 182C owners. I guess that talks in favour of
the 292C that must be improved new model of the 182C.

I'd put the model progression path down as 182C - 192C - 292. I've
used a Garmin GPSMAP 192C with the internal antenna for a bit over a
year now in a small sailboat and it has worked very well. The display
really is sunlight readable, even with sunglasses on, as long as you
mind the viewing angle. Map drawing when scrolling with the cursor past
a certain point doesn't happen in realtime with 192C, but it only takes
a second or two to redraw the map completely.

The main differences between 192C and 292 seem to be BlueChart g2 and
CANet support. Too bad the 292 still doesn't seem to offer AIS data
input, so you could see where exactly the big boys are on the map (with
an external AIS receiver).

Then if you opt for Garmin (still like to hear why not raymaring or a third
make) I guess the choice is between 292, the 20xx that is like the 292 just
with bigger screens and then the new "networked" 3000 series. Is it worth
the money ? In the 3000 series we are talking 3-4000 USD ...

I'm not sure which of those offer radar overlays on the map, but when
available, the feature is very nice. If you plan your routes beforehand
on a paper map or on a computer, having a big screen on a plain chart
plotter might be a waste of money and precious space. With a radar
overlay, you might want something bigger than the typical 5" display of
a small plotter.

Currently there isn't much you can do with regards to being able to
select between several map formats in one chart plotter. When you buy a
chart plotter, the odds are that it will only accept maps from one provider.

You might want to make sure that your autopilot has an NMEA 0183 input,
in case you decide to buy a non-raymarine chart plotter that doesn't
have a seatalk interface.

Tapio
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I have bought a used Leopard 38 catamaran which I want to add large
chartplotter and radar to. Boat is in BVI, I will need to get items there
by a bulk Tropical Freight shipment (to USVI), or purchase in the area. Any
recommendations on vendors in USVI or PR?
The Garmin 3210 plotter I observed had XM Satellite radio and weather
reports. I am not familiar with this, For the radio, I would assume I can
buy one for less than $100 as a separate piece. How good are the weather
reports? Are there real time radar pictures? Does it work in Caribbean and
have reports for there? I know XM says it is ony licensed for USA, but how
far out does it reach? No mention was made of Puerto Rico.
The owner of a 3210 I observed said the sat radio "Was all part of the
package". I assumed that I would only buy 3210 plotter, 4KW radar and a
cheap separate fishfinder with NMEA output to read on plotter. Does this
all work? As I don't need 2nd station, I don't see need for their
propreitary network. In addition I will hook up NMEA for DSC in/out and
NMEA out to autopilot.
One particular interest: I am used to using 2 chart formats at the same
time: Garmin and Cap'n with a variety of chart vendors. With my new boat I
no longer have a pilothouse and will not be taking PC outside. The Garmin
3210 has a marine video cable... This includes RCA plug/NTSC in and 15 pin
output for a monitor. If I convert my laptop imiage to NTSC to match the
Garmin input, will I get a quality picture on the 3210? This would possibly
solve my problem of getting my laptop viewable outside by hanging a flat
screen in the catamaran doorway.
Is AIS available now, if so from who? Connecting AIS to the 3210 via NMEA
would cause a shortage of inputs, is there a NMEA combiner made? Is this
how it is done?
Lee Haefele

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I think it's got 3 dataports for NMEA communication, so you wouldnt need a
combiner/hub for that.

Bjarke

[...]

!!!!!!!! make thousands of dollars with very little effort bluebird ASA 0 November 11th 05 04:18 PM
Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
Am I chasing my tail?? AP Boat Building 13 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM