posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lee Haefele Lee Haefele is offline

Default New plotter, make ?

I love my Garmin 182C. I will be buying a big screen Garmin for my new
boat. I had been using BOTH the Garmin and Cap'n on a PC, but my old boat
has a pilothouse to keep the PC dry. Another idea is Garmin has a hand held
PC/GPS that you could install Cap'n or similar software and get free charts.
Most new Garmin plotters come with full set of US charts, is that what you
need?
Lee Haefele
"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in message
Looking for advice...

I just bought a new pre-owned sailing boat and the GPS is not up to my
standard. I would like to have a plotter at the helm. In my old boat I had
a Garmin gpsmap 162 with bluechart maps but even if i liked the link to
the PC software I'm looking for a plotter slightly better. I was very
impressed by the way the 162 communicated with the PC software
(mapsource), but I found the 162 device to slow and difficult to read in
direct sun. And I don't know if I like that garmin lock in users to use
only garmin charts. Even if prices are ok.

My wishes a

Fixed system at the helm, colour screen 5-7 inches, connection to my PC at
the chart table so that I can plan and transfer waypoints and routes. I
don't want a 'PC only' solution. I would like a system that can run
without the PC.

What card system is the best choice: Navionics, CMAP, Garmin mapsource or
G2.

And how about the plotter. There's a lot of well known makes, but also
less well
known. What to choose?

Is it OK to lock your self into one product suite and to get better
functionality (and higher prices?) or should you mix the products?

There is many different chart systems out there and even more different
hardware to choose between. I'm confused. Any good advise and/or
experience is appreciated.

Expecting to spend approx 2000 USD but I'm flexible. My instruments and
wheel pilot are autohelm/raymarine.

--
Bjarke M. Christensen
http://www.MAXImalt.dk