posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman Gordon Wedman is offline

Default New plotter, make ?

"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in message
Funny. I've met so many happy 182C owners. I guess that talks in favour of
the 292C that must be improved new model of the 182C.

Don't like the handheld idea. I want a proper device that will do great
without the PC. I have a eTrex. Good for backup purpose and taking a walk
in a forrest but thats it.

Then if you opt for Garmin (still like to hear why not raymaring or a
third make) I guess the choice is between 292, the 20xx that is like the
292 just with bigger screens and then the new "networked" 3000 series. Is
it worth the money ? In the 3000 series we are talking 3-4000 USD ...

Why havnt you been using mapsource instead of cap'n ? That would give you
a bunch of integration features ....

Bjarke

I wouldn't need
"Lee Haefele" wrote in message
.. .
I love my Garmin 182C. I will be buying a big screen Garmin for my new
boat. I had been using BOTH the Garmin and Cap'n on a PC, but my old boat
has a pilothouse to keep the PC dry. Another idea is Garmin has a hand
held PC/GPS that you could install Cap'n or similar software and get free
charts. Most new Garmin plotters come with full set of US charts, is that
what you need?
Lee Haefele
"Bjarke Christensen" BjarkeMC@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message ...
Looking for advice...

snip

I also have a 182C and am quite happy with it. Have it mounted at my helm
and have no trouble reading it during the day.
It may be a little slow as you zoom up and down but for just letting it run
to show your position its fine. Very accurate as well.
You can still buy the 182C on Ebay for around $400 I think.