posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

Default Not quite by the book winch wiring.

Need some opinions: About to run wire for a Harken 44STC electric winch.
As I was measuring to cut two 17' lengths of 2/0 to run from the winch
solenoid to the main switch board. I realized that just 6' below the winch
control box is the house alternator and the central ground point both of
which lead to the house bank switch with 4/0.

How bad a no-no would it be to come off the alternator to a 100A breaker ,
then to the winch and back to the ground point? The total voltage drop
would be much less and the battery current would be cut when the main switch
is off. What I wonder about is what happens if the alternator is charging
the house bank and the winch starts drawing current. Is the regulator going
to see the draw at the batteries and try to overdrive the alternator?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Need some opinions: About to run wire for a Harken 44STC electric winch.
As I was measuring to cut two 17' lengths of 2/0 to run from the winch
solenoid to the main switch board. I realized that just 6' below the winch
control box is the house alternator and the central ground point both of
which lead to the house bank switch with 4/0.

How bad a no-no would it be to come off the alternator to a 100A breaker ,
then to the winch and back to the ground point? The total voltage drop
would be much less and the battery current would be cut when the main switch
is off. What I wonder about is what happens if the alternator is charging
the house bank and the winch starts drawing current. Is the regulator going
to see the draw at the batteries and try to overdrive the alternator?

Electrically, that is a great solution.
The regulator will detect the voltage
drop at the battery in any case and it
will undoubtedly coax more current from
the alternator. I wouldn't worry about
it because alternators are rarely
operating near their maximum output.

The only problem that might arise is a
philosophical one about having a single
main disconnect for all the DC wiring. I
wouldn't worry myself, but if you are
concerned about that, you can use a
solenoid/relay powered by the main
breaker. But the power leads on the
contacts will be only six feet.

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 16:14:39 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Is the regulator going
to see the draw at the batteries and try to overdrive the alternator?

Is the regulator voltage sense wire connected directly to the
batteries?

If so, I really don't see any issue. For the short durations that the
winch is actually operating it probably doesn't make a huge difference
in any case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

Regulator has voltage and temperature sensors at the battery bank so I guess
I will do it. Have to document and label everything fully though or some
day an electrician is going to be cursing me mightily. :-)

--

wrote:

Is the regulator going
to see the draw at the batteries and try to overdrive the alternator?

Is the regulator voltage sense wire connected directly to the
batteries?

If so, I really don't see any issue. For the short durations that the
winch is actually operating it probably doesn't make a huge difference
in any case.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 23:35:06 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Regulator has voltage and temperature sensors at the battery bank so I guess
I will do it. Have to document and label everything fully though or some
day an electrician is going to be cursing me mightily. :-)

I can't imagine you ever selling that boat so the electrician is
likely to be yourself. :-)