posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Winch selection - difference in results from Harken, Lewmar and Andersen.

Hi

When I look in winch selection guides from Harken, Lewmar and Andersen.
I find the that there is a difference as to the size of winch they
recommend, especially when one looks at the smaller size winches there
is a disagreement between the manufactures, of what size of winch to
recommend. Lewmar generally is one winch size below Andersen, so they
are pretty close. But Harken is 2-3 sizes above Lewmar and Andersen.
If one takes a 300 squre feet Genoa, Lewmar recommends a 14 and
Andersen a 12 or 16. Where as Harken recommends a 40 or 42.
Now there might be a difference between the effectiveness of a winch
brand, but I do not believe this is the course of the difference. Also
I am actually incline to believe that Harkens recommendations is the
most accurate.
Any suggestions as to why there is such a difference, and who is right?

Best regards
Mads

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I've used many types of winches. All work. Most
brands feature a power option.

Winches are typically defined with a number that
denotes its power ratio. Most will have two
speeds. The power ratio being the geared down
ratio.

Weaker people will generally prefer higher numbered
winches. Another way to change the effective ratio
is to use a longer winch handle. When in doubt go
larger.

My preference is to chose Andersen winches. The
people at Lewmar are idiots and rarely run production
runs of stainless steel winches.

LET ME BE CLEAR. THE PEOPLE AT LEWMAR
ARE IDIOTS AND RARELY RUN PRODUCTION
ON STAINLESS STEEL WINCHES. How can
they be so stupid? There is a market for these winches
and it is all going to Andersen.

If you have ever seen older Barient winches, it is clear
that Stainless Steel winches are far superior to chrome
over bronze. The chrome winches will peel, discolor,
stain, or scratch. Stainless steel winches also hold up to
use with wire halyards better than any other type. Wait
20 years and you will see the difference. It is worth the
small premium.

I also like bronze winches, which age in a manner that
in my opinion, improves their looks. Of these I'd say
Lewmar make a handsome bronze winch. In fact I
like the looks of Lewmar the best. If you could get
Stainless Lewmar, I'd recommend them. Since you
can't, I'd recommend Andersen.

Andersen winches are all Stainless. They feature
vertical ribs that make easing them in a controlled
manner a breeze. They offer fewer sizes, so this
in part explains the differences in size recommendations.

Harken winches are probably the best choice for
light weight racing applications.

wrote Hi

When I look in winch selection guides from Harken, Lewmar and Andersen.
I find the that there is a difference as to the size of winch they
recommend, especially when one looks at the smaller size winches there
is a disagreement between the manufactures, of what size of winch to
recommend. Lewmar generally is one winch size below Andersen, so they
are pretty close. But Harken is 2-3 sizes above Lewmar and Andersen.
If one takes a 300 square feet Genoa, Lewmar recommends a 14 and
Andersen a 12 or 16. Where as Harken recommends a 40 or 42.
Now there might be a difference between the effectiveness of a winch
brand, but I do not believe this is the course of the difference. Also
I am actually incline to believe that Harkens recommendations is the
most accurate.
Any suggestions as to why there is such a difference, and who is right?

Best regards
Mads

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

It is a matter of choice. There is no one real
formula for chosing a winch.

wrote

I do not think so, Andersen has a 40 winch why not recommend that for a
300 genua, if that is what is needed. In my opinion they calculate what
you need based on diffent algoritmens, and so who is right?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Hey Bart,

Ever hear of South Coast Winches? I lost a bearing a couple weeks ago
and need a replacement. It's a 5 inch roller bearing. Will not cost to
much to have one made but I'd rather get an OEM part.

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You are right, there is not a formula that every one agrees on.
(perhaps that is mostly a matter of marketing spin, there is perhaps a
tendency to recommend to small winches.) Anyhow here is one from Harken
site, that I thinks look good. Does anybody no of something better?

"Calculating Winch Power
Harken: WinchesTo calculate desirable sheet winch power, figure your
foretriangle area (the area bounded by the forestay, foredeck, and
mast); multiply it by 6 (or 29 if you figure your foretriangle area in
square meters), a number that accounts for friction and sail force; and
divide the answer by 35, your desired maximum input force in pounds
(or.15.9 kg). The answer you get will be the rated mechanical advantage
in second gear (low gear) of your optimally powered winch."

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bart Senior" wrote in message

I also like bronze winches, which age in a manner that
in my opinion, improves their looks. Of these I'd say
Lewmar make a handsome bronze winch. In fact I
like the looks of Lewmar the best.

Thanks, Bart. We have bronze Lewmars on Clover. They do age nicely, with a
brown patina except where rope polishes the metal to a brassy color.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Matt Colie

Joe,
Plan to get one made.
I haven't seen a new South Coast or Merriman in about thirty years (give
or take).
Matt Colie

Joe wrote:

Hey Bart,

Ever hear of South Coast Winches? I lost a bearing a couple weeks ago
and need a replacement. It's a 5 inch roller bearing. Will not cost to
much to have one made but I'd rather get an OEM part.

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

My friend has some on his Valiant. I wanted to take
a picture of one because they look so cool in bronze.
I particularly like the areas that are polished by the
rope.

I imagine, I'd probably polish them from time to time
if I owned such winches. I'd liken it to the polishing a
bronze cannon.

Only a real sailor and creally appreciate the look of
bronze. I particularly like them on classic looking
yachts.

"Maxprop" wrote

"Bart Senior" wrote

I also like bronze winches, which age in a manner that
in my opinion, improves their looks. Of these I'd say
Lewmar make a handsome bronze winch. In fact I
like the looks of Lewmar the best.

Thanks, Bart. We have bronze Lewmars on Clover. They do age nicely, with
a brown patina except where rope polishes the metal to a brassy color.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Post a picture.