posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default HELP Furuno radar not working model 1830

Can anyone help. My radar seems to be working OK but I get no
targets, Not even land. What should I check ???

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
" wrote:

Can anyone help. My radar seems to be working OK but I get no
targets, Not even land. What should I check ???

When you turn up the "Gain" all the way do you get "sparkles"?
When you adjust the "Tune" do very faint images deisplay with
the "Gain" all the way up?

If Yes, to Question One, and No to Question Two then you probubly lost
the Magnitron or Modulator, and it is going to cost you $350+ to get
a tech to install a new one.

If No, to Question One, and No to Question Two, then you MAY have a
broken Video Coax Connection coming from the antenna to the display.

If No, to Question One, and Yes, to Question Two, then you MAY have
a smoked MMIC, and that is going to cost you a $500+ to have a tech
replace.

In any case, you really should have a "Qualified Marine Radar Tech"
come out and look at the radar.

Bruce in alaska who used to do this for a living........now just...
reTIRED......
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help. My radar seems to be working OK but I get no
targets, Not even land. What should I check ???

One common situation on the 1830 was (is) caused by turning the "A/C
SEA" control "up" (or clockwise) and effectively eliminating close-in
targets. This is the center knob of the three at the top of the control
panel. Make sure the knob is in the "out" position too..... that is, not
pushed "in".... (sort of a dual function knob)
This is a simple tip, and certainly does not replace the good advice
from Bruce from Alaska!
Old Chief Lynn (and ex Furuno repairman)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lee Haefele

Check the video cable if there is a junction block inline with cable (like a
sailboat has at bottom of mast). The shielded video wire has a very fine
center conductor that likes to break at junction blocks.
Lee Haefele
Nauticat 33 Alesto
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

oups.com...