posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default SR261 AIS transceiver

I've started a group to discuss the SR261 AIS transceiver:

Jez Hillyard

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've started a group to discuss the SR261 AIS transceiver:

What's wrong with discussing it here?

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics

OK:

I can confirm that the SR261 works with ShipPlotter. What are other
people using.

Most of you probably already know this but ShipPlotter can process two
types of AIS data:

via the serial port from AIS receivers/transceivers eg SR261 or

via the soundcard from a suitable VHF receiver. I use a Yaesu FT-857.
A six pin miniDIN plug goes into the rear Data socket and I set the
mode to FM or 9600packet unsquelched

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Wayne asked:

The SR261 is a complete transponder/transceiver correct?

It is a transponder/transceiver with built-in GPS. It can transmit
Class B and Class A type sentences but I'm unsure of its type approval
status.
It costs approximately $700 including delivery

Jeremy Hillyard

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

wrote in news:1147311127.216921.170210
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

SR261 AIS transceiver:

For those with "modern computers" without archaic serial ports from the
last century, may I suggest:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ls/search.asp?
keywords=USB+to+RS232+adapter

Wonder why all this new AIS stuff uses such ancient technology? Even the
old Win98 machines have USB ports!

Idiots.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Look at it this way, if you have a USB port you can easily add a RS232
adapter. But what do you do when all you have is a RS232 port?

bcl

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

wrote in message
oups.com...
Look at it this way, if you have a USB port you can easily add a RS232
adapter. But what do you do when all you have is a RS232 port?

Use an NMEA multiplexer.

Meindert
www.shipmodul.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Use an NMEA multiplexer.

Any particular brand we should look for....(c;