posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default SR261 AIS transceiver

On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:13:31 -0400, Jack Erbes
wrote:

I think the laptops that did not have PCMCIA are all dead or in museums
by now. But I'm also sure that there is someone out there still using
them. Probably trying to get linux running on them. :)

I got this story from a Dell laptop owner that I don't know very well,
so I can't vouch for it. He said that his new Dell has, in place of
PCMCIA, something called Dell Express. It sounds and looks a whole
lot like PCMCIA with an arbitrary form factor change to make it
proprietary. He had purchased a PCMCIA cellular modem and data plan
from T-Mobile and discovered the card didn't fit. When he called
Dell, they said that it was up to the cell company to support the
obviously superior Dell proprietary format. When he called T-Mobile,
they said they'd never heard of Dell Express and weren't interested in
it either.

I remember Dell pulling this stuff back in the day with proprietary
video card slots, so it doesn't sound entirely unlikely. Caveat
Emptor.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/