BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   SR261 AIS transceiver (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/69584-sr261-ais-transceiver.html)

[email protected] May 11th 06 02:32 AM

SR261 AIS transceiver

I've started a group to discuss the SR261 AIS transceiver:

Jez Hillyard

Meindert Sprang May 11th 06 06:07 AM

SR261 AIS transceiver

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've started a group to discuss the SR261 AIS transceiver:

What's wrong with discussing it here?

Meindert

[email protected] May 11th 06 04:44 PM

SR261 AIS transceiver

OK:

I can confirm that the SR261 works with ShipPlotter. What are other
people using.

Most of you probably already know this but ShipPlotter can process two
types of AIS data:

via the serial port from AIS receivers/transceivers eg SR261 or

via the soundcard from a suitable VHF receiver. I use a Yaesu FT-857.
A six pin miniDIN plug goes into the rear Data socket and I set the
mode to FM or 9600packet unsquelched

Wayne.B May 12th 06 03:23 AM

SR261 AIS transceiver

On 11 May 2006 08:44:37 -0700, wrote:

I can confirm that the SR261 works with ShipPlotter. What are other
people using.

The SR261 is a complete transponder/tranciever correct?

What do they cost?

[email protected] May 12th 06 05:09 PM

SR261 AIS transceiver

Wayne asked:

The SR261 is a complete transponder/transceiver correct?

It is a transponder/transceiver with built-in GPS. It can transmit
Class B and Class A type sentences but I'm unsure of its type approval
status.
It costs approximately $700 including delivery

Jeremy Hillyard

Larry May 20th 06 11:26 PM

SR261 AIS transceiver

wrote in news:1147311127.216921.170210
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

SR261 AIS transceiver:

For those with "modern computers" without archaic serial ports from the
last century, may I suggest:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ls/search.asp?
keywords=USB+to+RS232+adapter

Wonder why all this new AIS stuff uses such ancient technology? Even the
old Win98 machines have USB ports!

Idiots.

[email protected] May 24th 06 08:45 PM

SR261 AIS transceiver

Look at it this way, if you have a USB port you can easily add a RS232
adapter. But what do you do when all you have is a RS232 port?

bcl

Meindert Sprang May 24th 06 10:04 PM

SR261 AIS transceiver

wrote in message
oups.com...
Look at it this way, if you have a USB port you can easily add a RS232
adapter. But what do you do when all you have is a RS232 port?

Use an NMEA multiplexer.

Meindert
www.shipmodul.com

Larry May 25th 06 03:55 AM

SR261 AIS transceiver

wrote in news:1148499942.560560.301020
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

But what do you do when all you have is a RS232 port?

Er, ah, buy a computer made in the last 8 years?....

RS232 IS DEAD....really!

Larry May 25th 06 03:56 AM

SR261 AIS transceiver

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Use an NMEA multiplexer.

Any particular brand we should look for....(c;