posted to rec.boats.electronics
CarverCraver

Default Raymarine RL70CRC vs C-70

Other than network capability using hsb^2, what are the differences
between these two displays? Pricing seems comparable.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Keith

I'd stay away from Raymarine completely. Lots of bad experiences out
there with them.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

I heard that the Raymarine C and E series are internaly PCs running
Windows XP, that is very advanced. The C and E series have support
(with the most recent software update) for AIS and Navtex, wich is a
very very advanced and usefull feature. The AIS support on the C serie
is very vry good indeed. Both series accepts a radar too, with the
advanced MARPA feature. I would buy a C70 instead of the old RL70CRC..

Regards

Pascal

CarverCraver escreveu:

Other than network capability using hsb^2, what are the differences
between these two displays? Pricing seems comparable.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd stay away from Raymarine completely. Lots of bad experiences out
there with them.

Sounds like a troll. I've got an E-80 and it's been great to use.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-04-30 07:31:48 +1000, "CarverCraver" said:

Other than network capability using hsb^2, what are the differences
between these two displays? Pricing seems comparable.

Don't even bother with the RL70CRC! The C and E series have truly
daylight viewable displays. But the main feature is that the software
in the C and E series is user upgradeable. Just a compact flash card is
all that is needed and a way to write it from your PC when you download
the updates from the Raymarine web site. This is the main reason for
going with the newer technology.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
da2ny

I've had both the RL70CRC and the E80. And had no problems with either. No
question that the E series is much more advanced. However, you can buy NOS
RLCRC's on ebay for $1000, and used ones for less. And more of the older
raydomes that will work with the RL series but not with the C/E series are
showing up on ebay for the $600 range. Both are field upgradable (however,
you must order the upgrades for the RL series form Raymarine on a Cmap-chip,
while you can download the C-series upgrades to a CF card). They both offer
MARPA, and enable you to overlay the radar on top of the chart. However,
the C series has the advantage of being able to display up to 4 separate
windows simultaneously, including a very sophisticated fish-finder/bottom
charter. If you step up to the E-series, you can blow an additional $500 on
a Platinum Navionics chart which also gives you aerial overlays and 3-D
rendering. You can also get additional modules to have weather overlays
from satellite radio, and AIS signals. You can also add remote cameras on
your boat and monitor goings-on -- or hook it up to your DVD player and
watch a movie from the helm or nav station. But ultimately, I think all of
this becomes a major distraction, and if you dont know how to navigate using
your compass, paper charts, a depth sounder, and traditional radar. The
real question is not "will my electronics fail?", it's "when will they
fail?"
"CarverCraver" wrote in message
oups.com...
Other than network capability using hsb^2, what are the differences
between these two displays? Pricing seems comparable.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

But ultimately, I think all of
this becomes a major distraction, and if you dont know how to navigate

using
your compass, paper charts, a depth sounder, and traditional radar. The
real question is not "will my electronics fail?", it's "when will they
fail?"

I wouldn't call it a 'major distraction' but I can certainly attest to the
'WHEN will it fail' issue. Seems our autopilot computer decided to start
chattering scrambled packets onto the seatalk network. This drowned out the
GPS signal being recieved by the E-80.

I could still use the chartplotter aspects. But it was actually easier to
eye up the route on plain old paper charts. The chartplotter does have the
buoy numbering but they weren't as quick to find/read as the paper ones.
What with the scrolling around, zooming and what-not.

It also gave me the opportunity to give the guests on the boat a short
course on navigation. That and having them eyeing up the chart, instead of
all trying to see the chartplotter, kept things from getting crowded at the
helm. Granted, it was only a daylight trip from Annapolis to St. Michaels,
so it's not like it was much of a challenge.

The upside is I now have a better idea of how the network is routed. Along
with a new set of modular connectors that'll let me re-route the GPS
directly to the chart plotter should this ever happen again. The GPS was
previously routed directly to the autopilot, rather inconveniently mounted
behind a panel under the stairs. So it came down the arch, through the helm
behind the chartplotter, then down and aft along the starboard gunwale,
across the engine compartment, forward along the port gunwale, to the
autopilot. And then all the way back again to the autopilot control and
THEN the chartplotter. Go figure.