posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default Installing GPS Antenna on both Raymarine Chartplotters

Is it overkill to install GPS antenna's on both Raymarine
chartplotters?

I have an E-80 going into the nav station, connected to GPS antenna and
Radar.

I have a 2nd E-80 going into the helm

My PC and the two E-80's will be connected via a 8-port hub.

Any con's, or for that matter, any substantial pro's to installing a
2nd GPS antenna connected to the E-80 at the helm ??

(I already keep a handheld garmin on board, as both a backup, and when
I want to conserve battery power)

Thanks,
Dan

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

b393capt wrote:
Is it overkill to install GPS antenna's on both Raymarine
chartplotters?

I have an E-80 going into the nav station, connected to GPS antenna
and Radar.

I have a 2nd E-80 going into the helm

My PC and the two E-80's will be connected via a 8-port hub.

Any con's, or for that matter, any substantial pro's to installing a
2nd GPS antenna connected to the E-80 at the helm ??

(I already keep a handheld garmin on board, as both a backup, and when
I want to conserve battery power)

Thanks,
Dan

Only 3 GPS's on board? Do Garmin know about this? Are you the master of the
QM2 by any chance?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Franky

Hi Dan

I'm also interestd in this as we are installing a c80 at helm with
raystar and a Ray 435 at navstation. The 435 has its own passive
antenna for the rail

my thoughts were using the C80 as the primary with radar at helm and
the ray 435 as a stand alone backup at nav station. The 435 will also
provide NMEA out for my ICS navtex and Ray 54e vhf. This way the only
down sides I can see is having two antennas at the pushpit rail.

and I like the idea of backups in case of a problem on one system

Thanks

franky

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Tom Dacon

There's nothing worse than having two opinions that differ, with no way to
choose between them. In the absence of another opinion, which would you
believe, and why? Either have just one opinion and believe it, providing the
information it gives you jibes with your own visual information, or have a
third opinion and use the consensus of either all three or the two that most
closely agree.

Tom Dacon

"b393capt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it overkill to install GPS antenna's on both Raymarine
chartplotters?

I have an E-80 going into the nav station, connected to GPS antenna and
Radar.

I have a 2nd E-80 going into the helm

My PC and the two E-80's will be connected via a 8-port hub.

Any con's, or for that matter, any substantial pro's to installing a
2nd GPS antenna connected to the E-80 at the helm ??

(I already keep a handheld garmin on board, as both a backup, and when
I want to conserve battery power)

Thanks,
Dan

posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-03-18 15:39:19 +1100, "b393capt" said:

Is it overkill to install GPS antenna's on both Raymarine
chartplotters?

I have an E-80 going into the nav station, connected to GPS antenna and
Radar.

I have a 2nd E-80 going into the helm

My PC and the two E-80's will be connected via a 8-port hub.

Any con's, or for that matter, any substantial pro's to installing a
2nd GPS antenna connected to the E-80 at the helm ??

(I already keep a handheld garmin on board, as both a backup, and when
I want to conserve battery power)

Thanks,
Dan

Just one issue that will come up. Which one will have the chart card in
it and which one is the master?

When you network E series displays one is designated the master and
that one seems to be the one with the GPS. I had a 40' power cruiser
with 2 E-120s at the helm. One had a RayNav 125 GPS connected to it.
When it was master everything worked ok. When it was not the master we
got 'no-fix' and the GPS data was not available. What would happen with
2 GPSs connected is anyones guess until you try it. Thankfully the
owner has taken the boat away and I don't have to go back and explain
things to him for the third or fourth time...

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

My understanding is the one at the helm would work perfectly without a
second GPS. Somehow, there is a redundant bone in my body crying out to
install a 2nd gps antenna in case the 1st gps or E-80 craps out ....
but then if that was the case, I could pull out my garmin handhelld.

All well and good.....as long as there is only ONE GPS and ONE compass
sensor/fluxgate hooked to it all at a time....the other DISCONNECTED.

Wanna see it go crazy? Hook up the Raymarine Compass Sensor and the Smart
Heading Sensor to the Seatalk bus. What a hoot! The damned boat nearly
rotates on the display every time one of them reports because the compasses
are all pointing in different directions, instantaneously...(c;