posted to rec.boats.electronics
James Hebert

Default VHF Marine Radio Antenna

I would like to use a light weight half-wave antenna,
possibly something similar to a METZ which has a
34-inch whip and matching coil base, and mount this
atop a 4-foot extension on my 22-foot power boat.

The problem with the METZ antenna is that it does not
look like it will mount on the usual fiberglass extension
mast, unless you use some sort of C-shaped adapter.

Any suggestions for an antenna similar to the METZ which
can mount atop a 4-foot extension and screw into the fitting
on the extension?

My interest in this arrangement is to permit the base of the
antenna to be elevated at least four feet above the mount.
Using a typical 8-foot antenna puts most of my signal
right into my helm station, due to the location of the
antenna mounting base. I'd rather not move the base, just
elevate the antenna.

The 4-foot extension plus 4-foot fiberglass antenna combination
will probably be too heavy for the mount to handle, and that is
why I am looking for something like the Metz--less weight aloft.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Butch Davis

James,

I have a Metz with the coil at the base on my small Whaler. I am pretty
sure it will screw into an extension without any problem. I guess you would
need to find a sanitary way to deal with the cable. I plan to replace the
small antenna with an 8 foot this Spring.

Boaters World sells another line of base load antennas similar to the Metz.
I believe Metz has a web site and would reply to any questions.

Butch
"James Hebert" wrote in message
[...]

Lynn Coffelt

Any suggestions for an antenna similar to the METZ which
can mount atop a 4-foot extension and screw into the fitting
on the extension?

I suppose it's still available, and I confess I didn't like it as well as
the Metz, but a Shakespeare Style 5240-R VHF 3dB fits pretty much the scheme
you are looking at. They seemed to work well enough, once in a while we
found a "dud", so be sure and check the SWR after it's installed to be sure
you didn't get a defective one. Never saw one go bad after installation
unless it got physically "smashed".
Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
James Hebert

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Any suggestions for an antenna similar to the METZ which
can mount atop a 4-foot extension and screw into the fitting
on the extension?

I suppose it's still available, and I confess I didn't like it as well as
the Metz, but a Shakespeare Style 5240-R VHF 3dB fits pretty much the scheme
you are looking at. They seemed to work well enough, once in a while we
found a "dud", so be sure and check the SWR after it's installed to be sure
you didn't get a defective one. Never saw one go bad after installation
unless it got physically "smashed".
Old Chief Lynn

The Shakespeare 5240-R or the 5241-R (heavy duty version) were the only
antennas I could find that fit my requirements, too. It sounds like
they are the only ones available. Thanks.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
James Hebert

In article . net,
"Butch Davis" wrote:

[...]

Butch--My boat is also a Boston Whaler. The Metz will not mount
directly on the standard extension mast. I called them and con-
firmed that.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

You might also consider an ADAP-II adapter by GAM electronics-- it
appears to screw onto a standard PL-258 connector and provides a coax
feed and 1"-14 female antenna mount. Check it out at
http://www.gamelectronicsinc.com/adapters.html

Sorry, no first-hand experience with this adapter so I can't vouch for
quality.