Default Keep VHF Radio Antenna At Least 1 Meter Away From Our Heads?

I have just received a ICOM fix-mounted VHF radio. To my surprise, its
instruction says that I must keep the bottom of the radio antenna at
least 1-meter (3.3 feet) away from our heads if the antenna is mounted
in a small boat. I have never heard this before. Is this for real?
Does this have something to do with strong radio frequency may boil our
brain or cause cancer? Does this restriction also apply to 3dB
antenna? Does this mean that I need to use an extension to keep the
radio antenna further away from our heads?

Thanks in advance for any info about this "unexpected" restriction.

Jay Chan

Bryan

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just received a ICOM fix-mounted VHF radio. To my surprise, its
instruction says that I must keep the bottom of the radio antenna at
least 1-meter (3.3 feet) away from our heads if the antenna is mounted
in a small boat. I have never heard this before. Is this for real?
Does this have something to do with strong radio frequency may boil our
brain or cause cancer? Does this restriction also apply to 3dB
antenna? Does this mean that I need to use an extension to keep the
radio antenna further away from our heads?

Thanks in advance for any info about this "unexpected" restriction.

Jay Chan

Yes, and don't forget to wear you aluminum foil cap to protect from the
brain cancer wave frequencies. Seriously, what do I know, I just wanted to
use the aluminum foil line. Should be some interestingly knowledgeable
answers coming soon.

William Andersen

I suspect it's not a new warning, just that it's the first time you read
about it. I also doubt that you'd suffer any effects- how long are you on
your boat, how much time do you use the radio?
There's gotta be more important things for us to worry about.

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:

Shortwave Sport Tom used to make a lot more sense before that danged
radio boiled away his brain, eh?

I just assumed it was the drugs. Pity!

William Andersen wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes, this is the first time I read about this warning. I have been
reading quite a number of books on boating and marine electronics, and
I have never seen this mentioned in any one of the book.

No, I have very little experience with boats that have VHF radio. And
the boat that I have bought recently doesn't have a VHF radio. This is
the reason why I need to buy one (and received it yesterday).

This surely sounds like something similar to the issue not so long ago
about wearing a walkie-talkie in our belt may cause some sort of
problem or something. The manufacturer of the VHF radio may put that
warning in the instruction just to keep lawyers off their back.

OK, seem like this is not a "real" issue. This means I really don't
need an extension for the antenna.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 19 Jan 2006 18:18:36 -0800, "
wrote:

I have just received a ICOM fix-mounted VHF radio. To my surprise, its
instruction says that I must keep the bottom of the radio antenna at
least 1-meter (3.3 feet) away from our heads if the antenna is mounted
in a small boat. I have never heard this before. Is this for real?

yes.

Does this have something to do with strong radio frequency may boil our
brain or cause cancer?

not cancer - the brain boil thing. turns it to mush at 25 watts. its
why i wander around with this blank look on my face.

Does this restriction also apply to 3dB antenna?

all antennas - including car radio antennas, portable radio antennas -
anything that has an antenna.

Does this mean that I need to use an extension to keep the
radio antenna further away from our heads?

at least three feet - further away is better. its best to put the
antenna on a mast at least three feet tall - ten feet tall is the
best.

Thanks in advance for any info about this "unexpected" restriction.

there is no direct evidence that radio waves cause cancer or boil your
brain. there is anecdotal evidence, but it has to be very high power
- like in the megawatts - at the marine radio frequency.

put your antenna where its easy for you to raise and lower and dont
worry about that stupid - rule - its legal beagles being legal and
stuff.

Thanks for clarifying this issue to me. Sound like this is not a
"real" issue for a VHF radio that only uses up to 25 watt.

Jay Chan

Sailaway

It's like the warnings on bread toasters and TVs that tell you not to
use
the item while showering.

roups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I spent 17 years as a military electronics tech working on
communications and nav equipment, with much experience in VHF. During
that time, I was required to submit to various regular periodic medical
tests and exams including extensive eye exams due to my exposure to RF
radiation. And I only worked with low-power radios and terminated all
power output into loads when transmitting on the bench - I never had an
antenna next to my head. There is an enormous body of research as well
as plenty of anecdotal evidence of specific damage to body and brain
tissue from various frequencies. Anyone who tells you that RF radiation
- any RF radiation in close proximity, isn't harmful is uninformed. That
doesn't mean you are going to get cancer or fry your brain from your
vhf, but a little caution certainly doesn't hurt. BTW, the most rapid
deterioration in my eyesight was during the period I worked more with
comm radio transmitters.
Calif Bill

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:40:09 -0500, Sailaway
wrote:

It's like the warnings on bread toasters and TVs that tell you not to
use
the item while showering.

roups.com...

wrote:

[...]

prove it.

ive been a ham for 48 years with a career in radar and vhf engineering
- ive had more antennas next to my head than youve ever seen.

again, prove it.

My last job was designing RF cookers for the human body. So you can harm
the flesh with RF. We used contact electrodes to get the energy in to the
body. Used RF as the body's nervous system does not know it is getting
electrocuted via RF.

JohnH

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:40:09 -0500, Sailaway wrote:

It's like the warnings on bread toasters and TVs that tell you not to
use
the item while showering.

roups.com...

wrote:

[...]

For me, rapid eye deterioration started in my early 40's. According to my
optometrist, that's the norm. How old were you when all deterioration got
rapid?
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******