LiveToBe100.org

Default FS SGC model SG-230 SmartTuner, Automatic Antenna Tuner

I have listed a NEW SGC SG-230 SmartTuner automatic antenna tuner on
ebay. As you most likely know, this is the ultimate automatic antenna
tuner.

This is a commerical grade, state of the art antenna tuner for Ham,
commercial, marine, aviation, military, intelligence and shortwave use.

For more information or to see the pictures click on this link:

If the linik does not work for you, just go to http://ebay.com and do a
search for: "SGC model SG-230"

I can ship this unit worldwide.

Thanks,

Bill

- - -
Live To Be 100.org
http://LiveToBe100.org

Me

In article .com,
"LiveToBe100.org" wrote:

I have listed a NEW SGC SG-230 SmartTuner automatic antenna tuner on
ebay. As you most likely know, this is the ultimate automatic antenna
tuner.

This is a commerical grade, state of the art antenna tuner for Ham,
commercial, marine, aviation, military, intelligence and shortwave use.

For more information or to see the pictures click on this link:

If the linik does not work for you, just go to http://ebay.com and do a
search for: "SGC model SG-230"

I can ship this unit worldwide.

Thanks,

Bill

- - -
Live To Be 100.org
http://LiveToBe100.org

I really hate to burst your bubble, here Bill, but your SGC-230 isn't
all that good of an autotuner, when compared to some of the really good
commercial autotuners around. Just about any of the RF Harris Autotuners
are much better, and Collins built some of the best in world for the
USAF. Your SGC is nothing more than a reverse engineered knockoff of
the SEA1612B, and "Old Peaair", couldn't engineer his way out of a "Wet
Paper Bag". SGC even heisted the Romcode intacked, with the SEA
Copyright Notice still imbeaded in the firmware.

Me who knew all the principals involved, before they all died...
377

SGC 230s are NOT commercial grade by any means but they are a very good
value for the money. Just take 2 of them if your life may be depending
on it working properly. They do seem to have a finite life when used on
fishing boats, might be reed relay contacts getting pitted, dont really
know but they last about 4 years when used heavily. Contrast that with
the JW Miller AT 2500 auto/manual tuners that have been running non
stop on these same boats since the late 1970s with no problems at all
and have the great feature of being manually tunable if autotune
functionality goes bad. If you want to see what a commercial grade
marine autocoupler looks, like open up a Collins 490M20. Gold plated
varicoils, etc etc. An SGC 230, although a good value for the money, is
cut from a different cloth.
Fishing boats beat the hell out of SSBs, radars, autopilots etc.
Reliable gear is the old stuff you still see on modern boats as back up
gear eg original Motorola Modar VHFs, Wood Freeman autopilots, Furuno
240 radars, etc. They get really old but still work great so if space
is available they are not tossed when more modern gear is installed.
Some Wood Freeman model 11 pilots have been in service more than 50
years with just occasional brush changes in the drive motor. The
original Motorola Modars can still go head to head with ANY modern VHF
as far as tight and sensitive receivers go, in fact I'd bet that the
Motos would win in a heavy RF environment like SF Bay. No disrespect
meant for the SGC 230. I own one myself. Just don't confuse it with a
commercial grade autocoupler. Different animals.

Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
"377" wrote:

[...]

Now here is a fellow that has been around the "Biz" for a while, and
understands the difference between "Real" Commercial Grade equipment,
and the "WannaBee's" that get pawned off on unsuspecting users.
The above is a very good exposee on the last 30 years of Marine
Electronics evolution.

Bruce in alaska who still has a Modar 55/75 in the Radioroom...
--
add a 2 before @

All the principles are not dead. SEA is still making excellent antenna
tuners and the designers have moved on to other ventures (like AIS).

Me

In article . net,
"Doug" wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:

All the principles are not dead. SEA is still making excellent antenna
tuners and the designers have moved on to other ventures (like AIS).

Well not exactly true, but close enough. Dick Stephens is certainly no
longer breathing. Bill Forgey is retired, and living the life of a
Country Squire in Northeastern Washington. Phil Maynard, I think, is
still at SEA, last time I chatted with him. Mark Johnson never actually
worked for SEA. but was a "Independant Design Contractor" for SEA from
it's inception. Not sure where Pete Hop is, or what he is doing these
days. I can't remember his name off hand, but one of the young, (to me
anyway) Design Engineers is a Major Player over at Icom America these
days. The best of these, all came from the old Northern Radio Company,
of Seattle, Washington. Last time I checked, Phil was able to restart
production on a few of the Marine Radio Systems at SEA, and they had a
small Service Staff working.

Me

You might want to take a look at
http://www.shinemicro.com/Gallery.htm. They
claim to be the design team behind a lot of equipment including SEA radios,
control heads and antenna tuners. They are in Port Ludlow, WA.

73
Doug K7ABX

ShineMicro Is Mark Johnson's outfit, and like I stated, he was a
Contract Design Engineer that did most, if not all, of the microprocessor
control software for the SEA Radios. He and Bill Forgey both came from
Northern Radio Co. and they were the ones that reverse engineered the
Motorola Autotune MF/HF Antenna Tuner that Bill Schielb brought with him
from Motorola Schamberg. Mark did the original software for the SEA1601
Autotuner and then modified, and redesigned that many times over, untill
he had the SEA1612B stuff running as slick as you please. Actually Port
Ludlow, Wa. is his mailing address, but he lives on the other side of
Hood Canal. Can you guess what Road he lives on?

I guess someone should write the History of North Pacific
MF/HF Communications, and document all these many people and ideas.
There are some really interesting folks in that history. Dan Farley,
Keifer Fobes, Eddie Zanbergen, Dick Stephens, The Freto Bandito (can't
remeber his name, but he was Pres. of Northern Radio before Dick Stephens
came) Dennis Seth, Len Miller, Don Hollingsworth Sr. & Jr., Al Jerness
Mac McFarland, Billy Pulse, Great White Father (Ed Parsens of Alaska
Communications Fame) and that doesn't even come close to all the many
Alaska Cannery Radio Operators that were around from the 30's thru the
70's, or the FCC Seattle Field Office folks from the same period, like
Bob Deitch, Bob Zines, Mr. Galstad, Pete Baliogen, Gary Solsby, Bill
Johnson (Regin X Director), just to name a few.

Me remembering all this stuff, really hurts my bain....
Alzhimers I guess....