Eisboch

Default Keep VHF Radio Antenna At Least 1 Meter Away From Our Heads?

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:00:26 GMT, "Calif Bill"

. ..
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:40:09 -0500, Sailaway
wrote:

It's like the warnings on bread toasters and TVs that tell you not to
use
the item while showering.
wrote in message
roups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On 19 Jan 2006 18:18:36 -0800, "
wrote:

I have just received a ICOM fix-mounted VHF radio. To my
surprise, its
instruction says that I must keep the bottom of the radio
antenna
at
least 1-meter (3.3 feet) away from our heads if the antenna is
mounted
in a small boat. I have never heard this before. Is this for
real?

yes.

Does this have something to do with strong radio frequency may
boil our
brain or cause cancer?

not cancer - the brain boil thing. turns it to mush at 25 watts.
its
why i wander around with this blank look on my face.

Does this restriction also apply to 3dB antenna?

all antennas - including car radio antennas, portable radio
antennas -
anything that has an antenna.

Does this mean that I need to use an extension to keep the
radio antenna further away from our heads?

at least three feet - further away is better. its best to put the
antenna on a mast at least three feet tall - ten feet tall is the
best.

Thanks in advance for any info about this "unexpected"
restriction.

there is no direct evidence that radio waves cause cancer or boil
your
brain. there is anecdotal evidence, but it has to be very high
power
- like in the megawatts - at the marine radio frequency.

put your antenna where its easy for you to raise and lower and
dont
worry about that stupid - rule - its legal beagles being legal and
stuff.

Thanks for clarifying this issue to me. Sound like this is not a
"real" issue for a VHF radio that only uses up to 25 watt.

Jay Chan

I spent 17 years as a military electronics tech working on
communications and nav equipment, with much experience in VHF. During
that time, I was required to submit to various regular periodic medical
tests and exams including extensive eye exams due to my exposure to RF
radiation. And I only worked with low-power radios and terminated all
power output into loads when transmitting on the bench - I never had an
antenna next to my head. There is an enormous body of research as well
as plenty of anecdotal evidence of specific damage to body and brain
tissue from various frequencies. Anyone who tells you that RF radiation
- any RF radiation in close proximity, isn't harmful is uninformed. That
doesn't mean you are going to get cancer or fry your brain from your
vhf, but a little caution certainly doesn't hurt. BTW, the most rapid
deterioration in my eyesight was during the period I worked more with
comm radio transmitters.

prove it.

ive been a ham for 48 years with a career in radar and vhf engineering
- ive had more antennas next to my head than youve ever seen.

again, prove it.

My last job was designing RF cookers for the human body. So you can harm
the flesh with RF. We used contact electrodes to get the energy in to the
body. Used RF as the body's nervous system does not know it is getting
electrocuted via RF.

you can stand in front of a high power radar array and fry your brain
too.

common sense is needed when dealing with low power radio systems - its
not harmful even over time.

just aint.

I werrkeded ona hunnnrid gathouusaned wats xmittirs annd aa oone milllioen
wats eelf
xmittir und me head didnn
get huurt to much.

Eisboch

JimH

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:27:55 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

. ..
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:00:26 GMT, "Calif Bill"

m...

wrote:

[...]

rotflmao!!!!

What he said. ;-)

Calif Bill

wrote:

[...]

I don't know. We are both rather strange, and I worked on radar units in
the USAF. Only 50kw 2% duty cycle transport plane versions. Maybe we have
an excuse.

-rick-

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

totally debunked in a few years, but the idea still floats around
that somehow low power rf, even at higher frequencies, causes brain
cancer, loss of visiion, yada, yada, yada.

however, i will grant your point about being strange. :)

www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/hbkrf.pdf

Don White

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:52:13 -0800, -rick- wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

totally debunked in a few years, but the idea still floats around
that somehow low power rf, even at higher frequencies, causes brain
cancer, loss of visiion, yada, yada, yada.

however, i will grant your point about being strange. :)

www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/hbkrf.pdf

"None of the research to date conclusively proves that low-level EMR
causes adverse health effects."

page 9.2.

if you look at the awareness guidelines, its all stuff that you
shouldnt do anyway.

and ive used a low level rf field over some peas i grew one time and
you wouldnt believe the harvest we had that year. :)

its also a fact that corn, under hv power lines, will grow taller.

which probably is why im 6'3" and the rest of my family is under 6'. i
was born and raised for the first five years of my life in close
proximity to a hv power line. :)

I've always heard that the electromagnetic fields were harmful.
I've got the wife sleeping on the bed side nearest where our 220v power
supply enters the mast head and travels down the conduit to the meter base.

RCE

i know some folks who use a weak ground field over their vegetable
gardens and they claim it helps keep the garden bug free and helps
grow the vegetables stronger.

Back when the Navy operated an ELF transmitter (1 megawatt) in Annapolis,
MD, we used to have to tour the antenna field in a pickup truck daily
looking for any problems with the array. Part of the "initiation" ritual
for newbies at the site was to stop the truck in the field, tell the newbie
to get out and check something, then watch him try to grab the door handle
of the truck to get back in. Stupid when I think of it now, but we were
never within 500 feet of the main tower. The buzz was enough to catch your
attention, but not enough to really do serious damage.

Although - I once was inspecting a ground lead that ran down a telephone
type pole from a TV antenna. This was about 1/2 mile from the main ELF
tower. The ground was supposed to be tied to a copper grounding rod, but the
connector had snapped. I grabbed the ground lead to reconnect it and got
some good RF burns on my fingers.

RCE

these warnings are there mostly for liability reasons .. but your VHF
does emit 25W of EMW .. if you want that directly besides your brain ?
Only you can answer that question

Cell phones which some consider harmful emit way less energy ..

Matt

Bill Kearney

which probably is why im 6'3" and the rest of my family is under 6'

Either that or a tall milkman.

which part? that they emit energy or that some people consider that
harmful ?