posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

Default Installing GPS Antenna on both Raymarine Chartplotters

On 2006-03-18 15:39:19 +1100, "b393capt" said:

Is it overkill to install GPS antenna's on both Raymarine
chartplotters?

I have an E-80 going into the nav station, connected to GPS antenna and
Radar.

I have a 2nd E-80 going into the helm

My PC and the two E-80's will be connected via a 8-port hub.

Any con's, or for that matter, any substantial pro's to installing a
2nd GPS antenna connected to the E-80 at the helm ??

(I already keep a handheld garmin on board, as both a backup, and when
I want to conserve battery power)

Thanks,
Dan

Just one issue that will come up. Which one will have the chart card in
it and which one is the master?

When you network E series displays one is designated the master and
that one seems to be the one with the GPS. I had a 40' power cruiser
with 2 E-120s at the helm. One had a RayNav 125 GPS connected to it.
When it was master everything worked ok. When it was not the master we
got 'no-fix' and the GPS data was not available. What would happen with
2 GPSs connected is anyones guess until you try it. Thankfully the
owner has taken the boat away and I don't have to go back and explain
things to him for the third or fourth time...

--
Regards,
John D Proctor