posted to rec.boats.electronics
DJ

Default Neon Lights on Board- A Question

Thinking of installing some neon mood lighting on board........any
information regarding current draw or interference with electronics which
would say don't do it?

Could always go to LED's but I haven't found anythat would give the same
glow as a neon......
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bob

DJ wrote:
Thinking of installing some neon mood lighting on board........

And what kind of mood to you plan on creating?

Can't read the newspaper anymore Bob

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

DJ wrote:
Thinking of installing some neon mood lighting on board........any
information regarding current draw or interference with electronics
which would say don't do it?

Could always go to LED's but I haven't found anythat would give the
same glow as a neon......

You will get some interference on the longer wave bands, not sure about VHS.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Keith

I wouldn't recommend neon for a boat. Hi voltage transformers would
probably cause a lot of interference with your electronics, fragile
glass tubes very likely to break, etc. LED rope light would work well.
Have you looked into EL lights? Electroluminescent "wire"? See:
http://www.coolight.com/category-s/1.htm. This stuff is really neat,
and would probably do exactly what you want.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

The coollights you recommend use almost the same inverter circuits
required by neon striplights so are just as likely to cause
interference.

Neon tubes dont brak on boats any more than they do normally. My
Beneteau has some 19 year old light fittings - no particular problems.
I wouldhowever consider leds if I was in the same situation.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Keith

You really have 19 year old neon lights on your boat? With a 10,000
volt transformer? You sure it's neon? Glass high voltage standoffs
mounted on the bulkheads?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

Hi Keith

No I have neon flourescent tubes, inverter drives them at about 120
volts

Ian

Running Lights Quiz# 113 Joe ASA 13 February 1st 06 04:26 PM
Sirius and Ipod on Board Capt. Rob ASA 55 January 13th 06 06:19 PM
Next question ;;;;;; is that your final answer ?? Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 6 December 23rd 05 09:10 PM
Parade of Lights Preparation Bryan General 8 December 12th 05 05:36 AM
Kitty on Board? Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 27 November 29th 05 11:00 PM